Railroad Forums 

• 1940 Mileage

• This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.
This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.

Moderator: Nicolai3985

#87919  by Tadman

Just out of curiousity, I'm trying to understand the pecking order - in other words, size of income and/or track miles - of the largest railroads around 1940. I can't find much on the net so far, so if anybody has an idea or knows of a good site with these figures I'd appreciate the help.

#90366  by kinlock

I'm trying to do essentially the same thing, but have picked 1950 as base year. There isn't a lot on the Net that can be found. Anyway, I have 1966 data for mileage, engines and passenger cars. Trying to recast the mileage back to 1950.

Take a look at what I've got so far:
http://www.rosshorwood.com/RailSiteLink ... e1950.html

...Ken

#100442  by CP169

kinlock, what a great site. Thanks.
 #100563  by bill haithcoat

I think the only good way you are going to make any headway with this question is with an Official Railroad Guide. That was a huge book which listed all the railroads in the country.It might have been monthly, it was at least quarterly.

It is probably still published, perhaps even with Amtrak info. I do know it did that at least the first few years of Amtrak. But I know you are thinking about a period long before that.

You can perhaps find them at railroad shows, perhaps on e-bay. But these are the magic words: Offical Railway Guide. Be alert to that, try to find a good price for one (I am sure they will be expensive) and that should help immensely.

You will find, even with all that info in front of you, that the question you are asking will not be easy. In fact you will probably get so involved in the details of each railroad and train you will forget the original question!!
 #106556  by s4ny

Moody's, the bond rating agency, published large books each year with incredible detail about each railroads operations. I have the 1940 book and it is over 2000 pages hardbound with data, maps, history of each company and its securities.

#106668  by crazy_nip

they need to update that site, they seem to think that CONRAIL still exists...

#107985  by kinlock

We realize that Conrail does not exist.

We have started a separate site to try and not "muddy the waters" of "Since 1950" with went on with Conrail:

http://www.rosshorwood.com/RailSiteLink ... nrail.html

We are going to add to it, but suggestions are welcome.