Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the B&O up to it's 1972 merger into Chessie System. Visit the B&O Railroad Historical Society for more information. Also discussion of the C&O up to 1972. Visit the C&O Historical Society for more information. Also includes the WM up to 1972. Visit the WM Historical Society for more information.
 #355176  by habu

I have a song sheet from the B&O centenial celebration, "FAIR OF THE IRON HORSE" Practicaly mint condition.

Anybody know if this item has a value as a collectible?

#355653  by hutton_switch

What you likely are referring to is a copy of the B&O "Centennial March", which has a picture of a P7 Pacific locomotive, the "George Washington" on the cover.

Copies of this piece of music, and the 78-rpm record of the same music as recorded by the B&O Glee Club appear from time to time on ebay and elsewhere. Both are regarded as collectibles, though neither have a significant value because they are fairly common.

#356262  by habu

Yes that is what I have. Thanks for the response.
 #626631  by erie2521

In 2000, a CD entitled "Locomotion Express" was recorded by Matthew H. Phillips and Circus Band for Centaur Records. It consists mostly of marches with titles associated with railroads. It includes:
1. "The Baltimore and Ohio March." I don't know if this is the one under discussion or not. No composer is given for it. These marches do not include any singing but this one sounds as if it could have had words go along with it.
2. "On the B&O March" by T. B. Boyer. This is an old timer probably written in the 1880's or earlier.
3. "Royal Blue Line" by W. P. Chambers. Probably written about 100 years ago.