Railroad Forums 

• 19000-series Wooden Cabooses

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#634153  by BR&P

I'm not sure of the name. I was headed home after a long day and didn't bother to stop and explore. It's the place on Rt 96 (I believe) just as you are heading north out of town, and there's what appears to be a motel there too(?). I was following slow traffic, and paying more attention to driving than the equipment.
 #635814  by lvrr325

I think the only time I've tried to go 96 was when the one bridge was closed and they detoured you, so I don't know what that could be.. Boxcars is/was on 366 near where it meets Route 13 and had several steel boxcars off their trucks there.
 #636117  by BR&P

It's where Rt 96 (W Buffalo St) meets Taughannock Blvd, just east of the river. Small steamer south out, then 3 coaches, NYC caboose on the north end. You can see it on Maps Live birdseye views.

Is the same place that was once owned by Gary Moore? I seem to recall that place had an LV caboose - maybe it was sold off, or could be a different place. It's a good-sized building, might even be inside.
 #636669  by lvrr325

You're thinking of the Lehigh Valley Ithaca passenger station, which is now a bank branch office. I did drive by there but with the traffic and all wasn't able to really look it over, I didn't know there was a caboose there.
 #637189  by izzy1975

Quite a few Otto, and I won't try to list them all. But in the more immediate area:

18567 WAS displayed at Wilson NY depot/museum....still there?

19044 Central NY NRHS Syracuse

19224 - Dunkirk NY fairgrounds

19602 - displayed Hamburg NY, no cupola

19682 - at restaurant, Clarence NY

20054 - Northeast PA Lake Shore NRHS

(Number unknown) - Webster NY at former Loose Caboose restaurant

(number unknown) - Owned by Syracuse NRHS member at Hannibal NYBR&P

If I am not mistaken - the one listed in Hannibal NY (co rt 34 ???).Last I knew it was home made.The trucks are actual caboose trucks but the body was made from a bluprint and pics. That is what I heard anyways - I could be mistaken and do apologize if I am!
 #637233  by BR&P

When Hojack Yards restaurant (later Loose Caboose) was being built in Webster, several NYC cabooses were purchased for the project. One was torched by vandals and was never used. The burnt out wreck sat in the bushes until a dedicated fan arranged to purchase it.

Since the original body was deemed too far gone, the new owner photographed and measured everything, preserved some parts, then used a chain saw to take everything to frame level. The trucks, frame, steps, etc were trucked to his home near Hannibal, where he built a new body for it. So it's not only the trucks that are original, but the frame etc as well.

It's not 100% accurate as a perfect NYC restoration but he preserved a caboose which certainly seemed a candidate for scrap so IMHO, good job!

Sadly from a preservation standpoint, a couple other NYC cabooses were scrapped. They had a D&H and a CV caboose as well. If I recall, only one NYC and the CV remain.
 #637759  by CPSmith

There was a caboose either painted as or referred to as a "B&M" at the LC. I don't remember it's origin or if it was the CV or... (someone will correct me).. and it's gone now. I drove in the parking lot as the scrappers were doing their thing - the wood was already gone and they were wrapping chains around the axles to drag them onto a truck. Someone told me later it had been for sale (and no buyers) and I could have had it for a song (sniff! whimper.. sniff..). Right next to the tracks, too.

I did a search for the Rail City NYC 19086 cab on this forum and noted it was auctioned off. Anyone know what happened to it?
 #637808  by BR&P

I think the one you were thinking of at the Loose Caboose was a D&H, not B&M. It sat at right angles to the restaurant, parallel with the Hojack. It was wood and had diagonal braces toward the outer end of each side IIRC. You are right - there were 2 or 3 that they would have just about given away.

Not sure what became of 19086 - there was a TRAINS article on Rail City a few years back but I don't recall it giving disposition on the cabooses.
 #641165  by izzy1975

THANKS FOR CORRECTING ME BR&P. The one in Rail City I believed was scrapped after being sold in the early 1990's. I was there for the auction and If i remember right it was being cut up right on site! Now the one at the NYS fairgrounds, is that the same one that was made in Oswego NY NYCS Shops????? :-D
 #641230  by BR&P

Too bad to hear the one from Rail City got the torch but that happens. Hundreds of them were salvaged over the years, usually by burning the wood and scrapping the steel.

I'm not sure which lots were built in Oswego vs. various other shops. The NYCRRHS folks have some pretty detailed lists maybe they can pin it down.
 #686161  by BR&P

To answer my own question about the caboose at the restaurant in Ithaca, the Fallen Flags web site has a couple photos of NYC 18385 coupled to an old passenger car, taken in Ithaca in the '70s. Most likely this is the one still there.
 #687698  by Statkowski

There's a 19000-series wooden New York Central caboose being used as an ice cream stand in Cresson, Pennsylvania (enemy territory?). Located on Front Street, just up from Admiral Peary Highway (Old Route 22), the PRR/PC/CR/NS three-track (used to be four-track) main line is immediately behind the ice cream stand.

The caboose used to sit on Pa. Rte. 271 at Mundy's Corner, west of Ebensburg on Rte. 22.
 #984981  by dc79522

I have some pictures of the 19969 in Canaseraga STATION near Canestota. It actually looks like a refurbished train station with on set of tracks just big enough to fit the 19969. If anyone would like pictures of it, just let me know or email at me at [email protected].
 #1442630  by AteamSHS

BR&P wrote:When Hojack Yards restaurant (later Loose Caboose) was being built in Webster, several NYC cabooses were purchased for the project. One was torched by vandals and was never used. The burnt out wreck sat in the bushes until a dedicated fan arranged to purchase it.

Since the original body was deemed too far gone, the new owner photographed and measured everything, preserved some parts, then used a chain saw to take everything to frame level. The trucks, frame, steps, etc were trucked to his home near Hannibal, where he built a new body for it. So it's not only the trucks that are original, but the frame etc as well.

It's not 100% accurate as a perfect NYC restoration but he preserved a caboose which certainly seemed a candidate for scrap so IMHO, good job!

Sadly from a preservation standpoint, a couple other NYC cabooses were scrapped. They had a D&H and a CV caboose as well. If I recall, only one NYC and the CV remain.
The caboose that was in Hannibal # 19216 has been donated to the Sterling Historical Society in Sterling NY. The caboose was moved to our site by Tartaglia Railroad Services in July. The Society's plan is to remove the cabin portion to the floor beams (which are the original ones) and rebuild it to it's original design. We have some blue prints but not all , for example we do not have side end and framing # R7221. we would appreciate any help in finding these prints for this project. Our web site is http://www.sterlinghistoricalsociety.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thank you
 #1442852  by Otto Vondrak

Thanks for sharing the news about the caboose move to Sterling. I think the Historical Society has done a wonderful job preserving the Sterling tower, and I'm sure NYC 19216 is in good hands. It will make a nice compliment to the tower scene.

-otto-