Railroad Forums 

• 19000 Caboose question

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#962573  by brward

Where can I go to find the specs on a 19000 series NYC Caboose? For the purpose of restoration. Thanks in advance.
-Brian
 #962682  by NYC_Dave

The April 2004 Model Railroader had an excellent set of Harold Russell drawings.

And here is another NYC drawing without a lot of information.
Attachments:
NYC_Std_Caboose_1.GIF
NYC_Std_Caboose_1.GIF (33.46 KiB) Viewed 3368 times
 #962902  by brward

Thanks for the diagrams gentlemen! They will definitely help out. I thank you and more importantly the people who are going to restore a 19000 series caboose thank you. Just to clear the air, the caboose in question is the NYC #19086 from Rail City.
-Brian
 #963440  by BR&P

Not directly relayed to the OP but a question on these cabooses.

I've been on more of these cabooses than I can count. I have a listing of probably a couple hundred showing when and where I saw them or what book they were pictured in or what document (wreck report etc) they were mentioned in etc.

Of all the hundreds of these cabooses I have info on, I have NEVER seen ANY mention of anything in the 19700 block. 19600's? I've seen as high as 19682. 19800's? Lowest number I've seen is 19829 in a photo sent to me. But not a single one between 19700 and 19799. And the chart Roger Hensley posted above skips from 19639 to 19814.

Never saw anything saying this block was skipped, but it seems to defy mathematical probability not to have come across one somewhere if they did use that whole number series. Anybody got pics or documentation that can clarify this?
 #964081  by Otto Vondrak

brward wrote:Where can I go to find the specs on a 19000 series NYC Caboose? For the purpose of restoration. Thanks in advance.
-Brian
We got one, too!

http://rgvrrm.org/about/railroad/nyc19877/index.htm

Which one are you restoring?

-otto-
 #964107  by brward

otto,

the NYC 19086. Its going to take alot of work. the previous owner let it rot in his backyard. the frame, trucks and pretty much all of the metal is complete and in very good condition. however, the entire wood structure needs to be completely rebuilt. do you have or know of (aside from the drawings on this post) any schematics and/or pictures detailing the inside and dimensions of the wood used from frame to finish? thanks. BTW,the 19877 is superb!

-brian
 #964690  by urrengr2003

The location of the previous post was 'central New York." Made me recall the interior of the 19000's was cardboard & grain doors tacked over the wood tounge & groove siding from Oct - April...had to keep out that 'central New York winter.
 #968656  by Hudsonrail

Brian,
We are restoring NYC19322 at the Danbury Railway Museum. We have had to replace the siding, cupola and roof. Any chance you can make it to Danbury and meet with the Project Manager? He has a fair amount of material on the caboose and he has documented the work with photos. He'll be happy to spend time with you.
Stan Madyda
DRM Vice President