Railroad Forums 

• #14 Orange Line Cars 1400-1551 (From Red/Orange Procurement discussion)

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1597957  by TurningOfTheWheel

Impossible to tell right now, but it's never good when a brand new design has so many teething problems. Given how many design-related issues there have been with the new cars (doors and yaw dampers come to mind immediately) I certainly wouldn't rule out some sort of larger issue here.
 #1597965  by R36 Combine Coach

TurningOfTheWheel wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 10:53 pm Impossible to tell right now, but it's never good when a brand new design has so many teething problems.
Read Silverliner V, NYCT R179. Seems KHI has been largely immune from this issue.
 #1597975  by STrRedWolf

TurningOfTheWheel wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 2:11 pm This is why: https://twitter.com/MBTA/status/1527359951563198482

"Earlier today, a new Orange Line train experienced a mechanical problem in one of the train’s multiple braking units. While we work to determine the exact cause of the failure, we are proactively removing all new Orange Line trains from service out of an abundance of caution."
These are the CRRC cars, of course. I hope they got a "This broke before it's time, CRRC pays to fix it" clause.
 #1597978  by typesix

TurningOfTheWheel wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 10:53 pm Impossible to tell right now, but it's never good when a brand new design has so many teething problems. Given how many design-related issues there have been with the new cars (doors and yaw dampers come to mind immediately) I certainly wouldn't rule out some sort of larger issue here.
Don't think they have yaw dampers. Most rapid equipment only have vertical and lateral damping.
 #1598037  by BandA

New assembly plant with a new workforce. Their first contract in US. Probably first time spec'ing and integrating American components. Covid. Covid travel restrictions. Hopefully fewer problems than Hyundai-Rotem plant had. Remember the story about CRRC utilizing blacksmith services from MBTA (or Boston Engine Terminal I forget) to fix some part that was wrong?

Getting replacement electronic parts 10 years from now will probably be only slightly easier than getting electronic spares for Boeing LRVs.
 #1598107  by Diverging Route

MBTA 23May22
@MBTA
Following exhaustive investigations and inspections, the new Orange Line trains are returning to service after being proactively removed last week. Our initial findings show that 1 bolt in 1 of the sole car’s 8 braking units was not properly installed during manufacturing.
 #1598288  by TurningOfTheWheel

BandA wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 1:00 amGetting replacement electronic parts 10 years from now will probably be only slightly easier than getting electronic spares for Boeing LRVs.
Probably not as bad as getting parts for the first-generation GE AC propulsion on the 1800s. Nearly all of the electronic components (certainly traction/control mechanisms) are being supplied by outside vendors (for example, Mitsubishi traction; IIRC Alstom may also be supplying some components, though I may be thinking of the CTA 7000-series). These are systems which have been deployed all over the world, so the availability of parts hopefully won't be that big of an issue.