Railroad Forums 

• 132,000 pound cars?

• For topics on Class I and II passenger and freight operations more general in nature and not specifically related to a specific railroad with its own forum.
For topics on Class I and II passenger and freight operations more general in nature and not specifically related to a specific railroad with its own forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

#1125098  by train2

In this era of 286,000 pound freight cars, I ran across some boxcars this week that showed there LD WT (that's loaded weight max) as 132,000. That was pretty surprising to me. These cars had come from one shortline and had been resold to another shortline as evidenced by paint and patched over reporting marks but are in interchange service accoss a Class 1.

So how often does anyone see cars of this capacity anymore? I would say these are not the most productive cars? Leaving a lot of weight of commodity per car trip behind. Now the only proviso is they are moving brick, specifically firebrick, I suppose that stuff being heavy might max our in weight long before it fills the car, so the light low weight might no matter.

What do most folks see as the average LT WT on a box?

T2