Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#1434017  by orangeline

I just saw on ABC-7 (WLS) News at 4 PM a story on 125 years of L service. On June 6, 1892 the South Side Rapid Transit Company began regular scheduled service on the elevated between 39th St and Congress Terminal. Except for the long-gone Congress Terminal, that routing is used by today's Green Line. Original trains were wooden coaches powered by Forney-type steam locomotives. Congratulations to the CTA and here's hoping for another 125 years of improved and expanded rail service!
 #1436698  by Gilbert B Norman

A little self-serving laudatory in a Times Opinion piece written by Mayor Emanuel:

http://nytimes.com/2017/07/03/opinion/r ... ansit.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fair Use :
CHICAGO — On Thursday, in the wake of a subway derailment and an epidemic of train delays, Gov. Andrew Cuomo of New York declared a state of emergency for the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, the busiest mass transit system in America. That same day, the nation’s third-busiest system — the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority — handed out coupons for free coffee to riders stuck in the second year of slowdowns caused by repairs to prevent chronic fires
All I can say is that my last METRA ride about two weeks ago was simply vile, but it beats the alternative of having someone aiming a cap pistol at you driving into town.

My last CTA ride was during April - my "poor man's way to O'Hare"; when there were two panhandlers "working the train". I have two flights on tap next month. I'm "tempted" to treat myself to a "White glove" livery service.

By contrast, during my last visit in New York during May '15, I had no issues with NY Subways. I rode them in Brooklyn, into Manhattan for a Philharmonic concert, and to JFK from Brooklyn (JFK to Brooklyn; a $70 lesson in how to keep your cool in a Belt Parkway traffic jam).
 #1436858  by Gilbert B Norman

Here beginneth the "blowback":

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/new ... =1.3299683" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/chi ... -1.3298095" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fair Use :
Congratulations to Chicago for having a transit system that’s so popular with its passengers.

Now try getting them home without anyone getting shot.

That’s the message New Yorkers had Monday for Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel, who threw New York’s subway system under the bus while touting the Windy City’s mass transit approval rating
 #1436865  by MACTRAXX

Gilbert B Norman wrote:Here beginneth the "blowback":

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/new ... =1.3299683" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/chi ... -1.3298095" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fair Use :
Congratulations to Chicago for having a transit system that’s so popular with its passengers.

Now try getting them home without anyone getting shot.

That’s the message New Yorkers had Monday for Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel, who threw New York’s subway system under the bus while touting the Windy City’s mass transit approval rating
GBN:

As much as I like the New York Daily News and their primarily centrist point of view even I thought that some of the
comments written were out of line causing unnecessary friction between NYC, Washington and Chicago...

MACTRAXX
 #1436909  by Gilbert B Norman

Gilbert B Norman wrote:By contrast, during my last visit in New York during May '15, I had no issues with NY Subways. I rode them in Brooklyn, into Manhattan for a Philharmonic concert, and to JFK from Brooklyn (JFK to Brooklyn; a $70 lesson in how to keep your cool in a Belt Parkway traffic jam).
I must ask, have things REALLY deteriorated that badly in the past two years?

I was visiting with my Niece at that time; not much chance of a repeat as she emigrated to Australia a year ago.
 #1436917  by jonnhrr

My experience was the opposite of Mr. Norman, I have only ever been panhandled on a train on the #6 at City Hall, twice while waiting for the train to leave.

Chicago gets a bad rap due to the incessant publicity about the gang related shootings, where in fact these are mostly confined to certain neighborhoods which most visitors are unlikely to be in. The city's crime rate does not even make the top 10 in the US.

Jon
 #1437330  by Tadman

Gilbert B Norman wrote:
Gilbert B Norman wrote:By contrast, during my last visit in New York during May '15, I had no issues with NY Subways. I rode them in Brooklyn, into Manhattan for a Philharmonic concert, and to JFK from Brooklyn (JFK to Brooklyn; a $70 lesson in how to keep your cool in a Belt Parkway traffic jam).
I must ask, have things REALLY deteriorated that badly in the past two years?

I was visiting with my Niece at that time; not much chance of a repeat as she emigrated to Australia a year ago.
I was in the city a few months ago and found their subway to be perfectly fine. Any city that takes Amex in their fare card machines gets an automatic pass by my scale. It's madeningly frustrating to try to expense a subway fare from an airport to downtown when (a) the subway doesnt take Amex; (b) there is no subway downtown from the airport...