Railroad Forums 

• 100 Car Freight On Utica Line!!! 10/31/08

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#606508  by amoreho1

newyorkcentral wrote:Does the NYS&W have any plans for these hopper cars like coal or gravel trains? Can anyone confirm that some of the hoppers were from the utica shops? :-D
i doubt nysw is gonna use them since there being stored
 #611739  by nysw2012

Hi, i am new on this forum, but i have read alot on thsi site and enjoy it.these are bethgon coalporter rotary dump cars that are badordered for rusted carbodies etc. nothing machanical. the paperwork on them showed storage and some of them came all the way from virginia. i guess they're gonna fix them eventually. alot cheaper than buying new ones. i saw the first train with the csx engine and was surprised they have the room for all those cars. i know they have some sidings in Norwich where ut-1 and bh-1 used to meet, but its a shame that the main line is now storage. i grew up with near the nys&w and used to see alot of traffic-even up till 2001 with alot of motive power heading to the utica shops. does anyone know exactly where these cars are stored?
 #628220  by ut-1

Here is the big October 31st freight "cruising" past Kling's Mills in North Brookfield at approx 20MPH. I believe this was the biggest train on the Utica Branch since the late 80's.Image
 #653520  by ut-1

The Susquehanna is moving some of these cars back to Utica and CSX. Today, I spotted the 3040 leading a northbound string of approx. 50 hoppers through South Utica (Genesee St) at approx 5:45PM.
 #653566  by Mark Wengert

caught a quick pic of the 3040 heading up skyler st at about 6:15 with only about 20 cars. the other have still sat on the schiedelmans siding. Here is a shot my wife got of my boy and I waitng.
 #656515  by ut-1

Looks like the NYS&W is bringing most of the hoppers back to CSX as the 3040 powered a consist of 42 of these cars through South Utica tonight at 6:35.
 #656537  by Steve F45

awesome shots. are all the cars coal hoppers? What would be the reason for CSX taking them out of storage after just a short time? Coal business getting busier or maybe they wont to scrap them??
 #656599  by lvrr325

I believe the heavy bad order cars are slowly being routed to a scrapper cutting them up on the MA&N near Carthage somewhere. Read that posted here someplace.
 #669120  by airman00

hey do the tracks go right down the middle of the street? How cool is that!! From the looks of the post not many trains run on that line.
 #669171  by uticajack

In it's hayday, the line down Schuyler St. was the DL&W main line in and out of Utica. It was kept pretty busy with 2 regularly scheduled trains to and from Binghamton (later Scranton). There were switching assignments for Richfield Springs, New Hartford, Sangerfield etc that kept the rails from getting rusty. While not a main line like the NYC was through Utica, it kept us kids pretty busy running from our house to the corner to see the trains come through. The speed limit on Schuyler St. was either 7 or 8 mph for the trains.
Jack