Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

by Passenger

While we're at it what about the lower level 42nd street 8th avenue downtown platform?

I know it hasn't been used for years, but I'm guessing it is no longer usable at all due to the extension of #7 service.

It that correct? Or is it still possible to run a train through there?

Thanks.
  by Jeff Smith

I'm pretty sure that it was broken through for the 7; that's probably in the 7th Avenue extension thread. The article hasn't been updated I believe, but here's a look at that platform: Forgotten NY
  by Allan

Passenger wrote:While we're at it what about the lower level 42nd street 8th avenue downtown platform?

I know it hasn't been used for years, but I'm guessing it is no longer usable at all due to the extension of #7 service.

It that correct? Or is it still possible to run a train through there?

Thanks.

The platform was bisected by the extension of the 7 train so it is no longer possible to send a train thru the old lower level tracks (which have been removed). The point where the extension goes thru has been walled off thus isolating the 7 train tunnel from the old ROW.

I