Railroad Forums 

• 01800 Tracker

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#835954  by MBTA3247

I don't know about the in-tunnel ad by Harvard, but I think the one between Broadway and South Station has been taken out of service. But I do hope the T has been charging advertisers through the nose for those ads, since they stay up so long.
 #852283  by Finch

MBTA3247 wrote:I don't know about the in-tunnel ad by Harvard, but I think the one between Broadway and South Station has been taken out of service. But I do hope the T has been charging advertisers through the nose for those ads, since they stay up so long.
The Asian Longhorned Beetle ad between Broadway and S. Station is still up.
 #978561  by octr202

Time to dredge up a year old thread, but...

Anyone catch the "stripped" Red Line car - if I remember correctly, its 01857? Just saw it while I was walking across the Longfellow Bridge. At least one side is completely stripped of it's red striping (ends are unaffected). Looks vaguely NYC-esque.

Anyone know the story on this car?
 #978571  by sery2831

The car missing the stripe I believe was one of the Metro PCS wraps, and the wrap pulled the red decal stripe off with it.
 #979000  by StevieC48

If I remember correctly the 4 car proto type cars did not have the red striping on the sides just the ends as they are a seprate pieces from the car body. I believe CK has a photo of 2 cars at Bombardier with out the red stripe. Ck if you can it is in you flickr can you post it.
 #979001  by sery2831

All the stripes with the exception of the ends are a decal. I have a few photos somewhere of the cars new at Cabot with no stripes.
 #979066  by octr202

Thanks for the info. I saw (IIRC) 01859 yesterday - missing a large middle section of stripe, but looks like the adhesive was left behind! Seemed like a dirty black smudge on the middle instead of the stripe as I caught it leaving Charles/MGH.
 #995005  by number1tfan

I witnessed something strange with the ASA on an 1800 series car yesterday.

The train's LED screen's were broken, but the announcements were working. However, at one point, the train started going through all the stops it could announce, as follows:

"Alewife"
"Davis Square"
"Porter Square"
"Harvard Square"
(And so on, all the way to Braintree)

There was no "Next Stop" or "Entering". It was almost as if the system was restarting or doing a test.

Interestingly, although the train was going to Braintree, it announced the stops on the Ashmont Branch after it said "JFK/UMass" before announcing the Braintree Branch's stops.

Even odder, it started up again from Alewife shortly after it said "Braintree". Shortly after, the conductor manually announced the next stop (in this case, Charles/MGH), and the ASA stopped going through the stops. Also, the normal announcements started working correctly again at Park Street.

Has anyone else seen this happen, or know how the 1800 series cars do this? This is my first time seeing the ASA do this.
 #995057  by CS

I remember the ASA doing the same thing way back in '94 when they were just put into service.
 #995124  by ST214

I was on a set last week that was messed up. When entering Park St(where I got on), the ASA was correct, Pulling out, it said "Next stop...Park St." and announced both DTX and SS as Park St. I got off at South Station, and when it pulled out, it announced "Next stop...Park St". The ASA likes to get stuck on Park St. and Harvard from what I have seen over the years.
 #995155  by sery2831

number1tfan wrote:Has anyone else seen this happen, or know how the 1800 series cars do this? This is my first time seeing the ASA do this.
There is a test mode where it will go through all the stops and it should display them on the interior signs as well. In playing the ASA systems on the 01800s I have hit this, and you can't get out of it once it starts. And you are right it does both branches. I am not sure why this feature exists. The new Blue Line cars have this as well, I have a video of it with the original factory voice. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mziKiAs ... ture=g-upl (Only including link for example and not to bring this off topic...)