Railroad Forums 

• 01800 Tracker

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#539191  by Robert Paniagua

May 15, I got 01829, left window had an ad, although the right window's curtain was open enough to enable me to look into the cab right behind the engineer. ASA Was fine, and ride was good

A week later (May 22), I got 01818, the left window this time however, was open and I took that seat and got to see out front very well, and the seats on 01818 were the black ones I think.

#539450  by MBTA3247

At least one set of 01800s has been running around with a paper sign with the destination written on it taped inside the front door window. Dunno if it was the same set, but I've seen both Ashmont and Braintree trains signed this way. Or maybe it's the same motorman, dunno.
 #706870  by number1tfan

Hey I've noticed a lot these days that the Ashmont branch gets most of the 01800s, why is that? I remember Braintree used to get a lot of them, but less often these days. I ride both branches as I get on where they both service.

Does the fact Ashmont gets most of the 01800s have to do with the Codman Yard getting a lot of them? I've noticed Braintree still gets many, but Ashmont has more these days.
 #707147  by Robert Paniagua

I don't know but I'd like the older trains on the South Shore Extension for seating purposes so that I can sit comfortably when going down to Braintree, and the 01800s have far fewer seats meaning more people that could use a seat will have to stand so that's why more of these cars are used in Ashmont now. But the seatless Big red Train has been used on the South Shore Extension only though and not Ashmont main line
 #834495  by sery2831

I have been told 01859 has been shrink wrapped.
 #834578  by danib62

sery2831 wrote:I have been told 01859 has been shrink wrapped.
For freshness?
 #834720  by Type7trolley

http://www.boston.com/yourtown/medford/ ... er/?page=3
In first for T’s heavy rail, ads to rake in $120,000
It’s just a drop in the bucket compared with the T’s enormous debt burden ($8.4 billion in principal and interest payments owed), but the transit agency stands to make a cool $120,000 off a two-month ad buy that starts this week. Cellphone provider MetroPCS has fully wrapped the exterior of three Red Line cars with advertising, meaning riders on the T’s busiest subway line will have roughly a 1 in 8 chance of seeing one every time a six-car Red Line train pulls up to the platform.

The T has tried this before with buses and Green Line trolleys, but this is a first for heavy rail — the Orange, Blue, and Red lines — MBTA spokesman Joe Pesaturo said. Lest those other lines feel left out, these ads have a blue-and-orange motif, with little red.
 #835130  by TrainManTy

I saw two of the wrapped cars today headed towards Alewife over the Longfellow Bridge. Makes quite an impression although from faroff it's hard to read the ads.
 #835166  by diburning

This can get interesting at some narrower platforms like the ends of the platforms at Central, Kendall, Park street, etc. The ad could be hard to read from up close due to the size and if the ad is near the end of the train, then the people boarding in front of it won't see it (since there are no loops in regular operations, the car would be on the front end on some trips and on the rear end going back and vice versa). Heavy rail rapid transit does no street running at all, grade separated or otherwise, so there won't be any drivers sitting at a red light looking over and seeing the ad.

Interesting idea, but not the best in my opinion.
 #835357  by Type7trolley

Here's a photo of 01838 wrapped, I spotted it on the bridge yesterday.
Attachments:
956529143_6geXw-M.jpg (54.92 KiB) Viewed 3705 times
 #835425  by BostonUrbEx

Looks pretty good, IMO. :)

Is that... a Facebook logo sticking out of the T logo? Looks like there's a blue and white "f" peeking out from underneath the T.
 #835450  by boblothrope

Type7trolley wrote:Here's a photo of 01838 wrapped, I spotted it on the bridge yesterday.
I'm glad they're still following the DTE/DPU's rule banning ad wraps which cover the windows. Other transit systems (and the T before that rule) have ad wraps that really block the view looking out, and especially looking in, which is a big disservice to passengers.
 #835644  by Type7trolley

BostonUrbEx wrote:Looks pretty good, IMO. :)

Is that... a Facebook logo sticking out of the T logo? Looks like there's a blue and white "f" peeking out from underneath the T.
I think it is, looking at the original file the Myspace logo is on there too.Those squares are just different 'apps' I guess.
 #835936  by MBTA1052

Now there is something you don't see very often if ever on Subway Trains...But Nice!! :-D