Railroad Forums 

• Conway Scenic Railroad (CSRX) discussion thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1529937  by Dick H

Weather Forecast for Steam in the Snow, this Saturday 1/4.

Mostly cloudy with periods of snow during the afternoon. High near 40F. Winds WNW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of snow 70%. Snow accumulations less than one inch
 #1530076  by NHV 669

It was more like train in the rain. I laugh now, as the snow is coming down at a good clip here in Bethlehem as I type. They passed Fourth Iron just past 1300; but came to a stop on the bridge, because several folks to my right felt the "need" to set up a few feet from the rails. Their response to the crew waving them back was to shout back that they "weren't on the tracks"; you can't fix stupid. It sounds like they did several runbys at Notchland prior to returning east. There was quite a mob out there chasing today.
 #1530894  by b&m 1566

Have previous "Steam In the Snow" excursions, been limited because of water? I was a bit surprised to see the tanker apart of the train this time around.
 #1531030  by NHV 669

I believe they've had the water tanker on there for every run since 7470's return. Sure beats having to have a pumper truck on standby somewhere along the line. Although I do recall seeing Conway Scenic's truck following along on at least one of the notch/Hazens runs last year.
 #1531144  by ericofmaine

70’s to the 90’s they only went to Conway and back. They didn’t have the trackage to Bartlett or the Notch until the mid ‘ late 90’s.

Eric
 #1531197  by b&m 1566

They didn't start using the tank, till this past year. I'm going to take a guess and say it will be with the 7470 every time it goes west of Bartlett from now on.
Didn't the tank car originally hold oil for engine #108?
 #1531437  by backroadrails

One of the articles listed it as "major" damage to the building. Also of note 573 ran to Attitash to clear the line a few days ago, and MOW crews changed out a rail by the bridge at Glen earlier in the week. I am not sure what they are planning on doing, but Conway hinted at winter ops on their Instagram page this week.