Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#765209  by hi55us

I was wondering why virtually all of the subway stations on the BMT stations (I primarily use the E&F to queens) have a signal in the middle of the platform? Their is no crossover, almost never is there a train right ahead of it in the station and frequently the signal will be an approach or a stop with what appears for no good reason.
 #765243  by Kamen Rider

speed control. there is a limit when passing through stations; they don't want you shooting through there at high speed.
 #765431  by R36 Combine Coach

Generally when a train enters a station, the signals are set at yellow for reduced speed.
 #776853  by MNR's #1 Conductor

R36 Combine Coach wrote:Generally when a train enters a station, the signals are set at yellow for reduced speed.
And the "in-station" signal is for redundancy and extra enforcement of speeds when entering a station, some even have timers where the signal in station is red, until the train is down to a set speed as it enters, and goes to a more permissive yellow "proceed with caution" aspect.
 #777197  by Chicagopcclcars

In Chicago before the advent of cab signals, block signals were found only in the two city owned subways and the yellow signal before a station stop was known as a station marker. It indicated that the station berthing signs would be found in the immediate block after the yellow signal. Since most all trains stopped at most all stations, the yellow did not have a speed limit meaning.

David Harrison
 #779975  by keithsy

I would like to see these unnecessary timers eliminated, along with the field shunts, so that we can run fast and real trains and return to being a public service and not a social service. We should have had cab-signalling ages ago. Just that no one had the brains, neither the guts to implement it. It could have done easily and economically, unlike that abortion on the 14thSt. Canarsie Line.
 #779978  by keithsy

MNR's #1 Conductor wrote:
R36 Combine Coach wrote:Generally when a train enters a station, the signals are set at yellow for reduced speed.
And the "in-station" signal is for redundancy and extra enforcement of speeds when entering a station, some even have timers where the signal in station is red, until the train is down to a set speed as it enters, and goes to a more permissive yellow "proceed with caution" aspect.
Church-Nostrand is one. It is a disgrace.
 #780167  by jtr1962

keithsy wrote:I would like to see these unnecessary timers eliminated, along with the field shunts, so that we can run fast and real trains and return to being a public service and not a social service. We should have had cab-signalling ages ago. Just that no one had the brains, neither the guts to implement it. It could have done easily and economically, unlike that abortion on the 14thSt. Canarsie Line.
That makes two of us. It seems lost on the MTA that if a train gets across the line faster, you can run the same frequency of service with fewer trains. I would think in a time of budget shortages they would be seriously looking at that. There's so many lines with timers on either dead straight track or very wide curves. IIRC the Queens Blvd line was laid out for 65 mph running ( and this was done for a brief time in the mid 1970s ). Those 35 mph timers on portions of the run, along with the neutered trains ( even the new R160 has had its acceleration/top speed "adjusted" ), are indeed a disgrace. Even local running would benefit by changing the equipment back to the way it was delivered.
 #781898  by keyboardkat

As I recall, the R-44s and R-46s were delivered with cab signalling equipment, but the track circuitry for this was never implemented. The proposed timeline for this was something like thirty years, which was beyond the prospective service life expectancy of the cars. Thus, specifying cab signals in these cars was a waste of money.
 #782362  by R36 Combine Coach

The automatic signal equipment on the R44/R46s were removed during overhaul in 1991.
 #811248  by DaveBarraza

The mid station signals have to do with the assumed average dwell time in the station when the signal controls are designed.

45-60 second dwells with 90 second design headway (120-second practical headway) means there will be 4 track circuits in the station and signals 1/4-way in and 1/2-way in. In this case there will also be an insulated joint with no signal 3/4-way in to give you 4 track circuits.

Under normal conditions there is NO TIME CONTROL on any of these signals unless there is a train leaving directly ahead.