Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1499912  by DutchRailnut

yup 6697 is back and in service.
 #1638942  by robelybasis

We should change this to -3H thread!

anways, with ConnDOT getting 6 chargers and Amtrak finishing up the 12 P40DCs for CDOT, that seems like a lot of locomotives for use just on the Hartford Line. Could we see the geeps being retired for good soon. Even though they were rebuilt in 2016-2017, they date back to 1967-71. Does anybody know the lifespan of the geeps after last rebuild or have any insight of what CDOT plans to do?
 #1638952  by RandallW

CTDOT's Chargers will be put in the GCT pool service with the MTA. Four will replace CTDOT's P32AC-DMs and the other two will be used to increase services on the Danbury and Waterbury branches.
 #1639053  by NH2060

robelybasis wrote:We should change this to -3H thread!

anways, with ConnDOT getting 6 chargers and Amtrak finishing up the 12 P40DCs for CDOT, that seems like a lot of locomotives for use just on the Hartford Line. Could we see the geeps being retired for good soon. Even though they were rebuilt in 2016-2017, they date back to 1967-71. Does anybody know the lifespan of the geeps after last rebuild or have any insight of what CDOT plans to do?
I think we’ll be seeing the GP38/40 series locomotives in service across the board well into the future. Not just at ConnDOT.

Reading & Northern -for example- has been buying a number of surplus/stored Norfolk Southern GP38-2s over the past several years, refurbishing + repainting them, and returning them to active freight service.

And there are countless numbers of them in service/being rebuilt or overhauled across the country. I suspect this is in part due to certain types of rebuilt locomotives being grandfathered in/being eligible for a waiver from the newer more stringent EPA regulations along with the fact that they were initially built 50 or so years ago *without* all of the computer garbage that is directly built into all these newer locomotive models. And they clearly seem to hold up well physically so I suppose they could be rebuilt in perpetuity (not literally, of course) until they’ve done all they can do.

I have yet to hear of any manufacturer offering a “contemporary GP38/40-like counterpart replacement” locomotive model (correct me if I’m wrong) which would indicate that there’s little to no interest anyway in a Geep replacement.
 #1639134  by ConstanceR46

I don't think that they're having any swan songs sung yet, but there are definitely a couple GP38/40 styled machines, niche as they may be, on the market today - the PR/EMD20Bs, for example, and Brookville still markets the BL20s if i'm not mistaken.
 #1641235  by ST Saint

jdh823 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:51 pm Are all the CTRail geeps in storage with all the P40s in service?
Nope, they are still in use on the Hartford Line and at least one was leased to Metro-North to fill in on the Waterbury & Danbury branches.
 #1641249  by jdh823

ST Saint wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:52 pm [Nope, they are still in use on the Hartford Line and at least one was leased to Metro-North to fill in on the Waterbury & Danbury branches.
Haven't really heard or seen any of em running lately on the Hartford line