Railroad Forums 

• Rail service to Calverton?

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #1450548  by LINYARailfan

Teutobergerwald wrote:That's too bad, but not surprising. I've read of the Town of Riverhead making things difficult for companies wanting to use NYA service before. Thanks, Jay.
If the Town of Riverhead is making things difficult for the businesses and companies wanting to use NYA service, then does the Town of Riverhead have a problem with Paraco using NYA service?
 #1450674  by LINYARailfan

Teutobergerwald wrote:Didn't the Town of Riverhead keep 84 Lumber from using NYA service a few years ago ???
Yes the Town of Riverhead did barr 84 Lumber from using NYA service. Correct me from the last post but I believe the only reason Paraco in Riverhead gets NYA service is because there is some sort of agreement between Paraco and the LIRR. Thats all I'm going to leave it at. Hope this helps.
 #1450898  by jayrmli

Didn't the Town of Riverhead keep 84 Lumber from using NYA service a few years ago ???
Yes. The Town assessed a building permit on 84 Lumber in order for them to lay the siding on their property. The Lumber company refused, and the siding was never built.
 #1550032  by tahawus84

Anyone know when this siding is served? I use the walking trail frequently and I have never seen a train on it. The fence place seems to get a decent amount of covered hoppers.
 #1550033  by gregorygrice

tahawus84 wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:32 pm Anyone know when this siding is served? I use the walking trail frequently and I have never seen a train on it. The fence place seems to get a decent amount of covered hoppers.

Served as needed. Only customer there is Eastern Fence.
 #1550414  by DaveBarraza

How many loads/year does Eastern Fence get? The one time I was back there they had about a dozen cars on site. That's one move I'd love to be able to railfan.
 #1567082  by Teutobergerwald

Anyone hear about or see a cut of several CN and GT boxcars out on one of the Calverton spurs? Who would be receiving (or shipping) in boxcars there? Thanks.
 #1610769  by SemperFidelis

I used to work for Oldcastle and we were building a Sakrete plant along the spur to Calverton but it appears to have never worked right and isn't listed by the company anymore. They were talking about getting stone by barge or rail. Did they ever accept a load of anything out there?
 #1614068  by krispy

It is astounding at the dysfunction at that town. Whereas Brookhaven will get things done, provided the right palms are greased (Crookhaven), Riverhead is just unreal at getting anything done, at all. For decades they have had a real treasure in picking up Calverton Airport from Grumman, and yet they just can't get a plan together to properly use it. I've spoken to folks who tried to introduce some limited aviation, folks who are making a last gasp at a race track on LI, folks who are trying to introduce what little manufacturing is left, etc. That parcel can support all of the above, using both access to rail, air and the LIE. But no, watching the town dither over it is like the "death of a thousand cuts".

Once while interning for Lee Koppelman, I got to meet Paul Townsend right around the time after Grumman lost the F-14D contract. That early the County saw the writing on the wall and was planning options to do with the various campuses that was used by Grumman, and not make the same mistakes they did with Nassau with the USAF pulling out of Mitchel and Republic dying. They both reeled off a dozen things that you could do with that property while conserving as much of the pine barrens and make a ton of money, which could help make up for the massive loss of tax revenue from Grumman. Then they laughed, because they knew the issues they would have with Riverhead. And of course, they were right on that one.
 #1615464  by freightguy

It's a shame that stuff as yet now over 15 years never panned out at the Calverton industrial park. In 2002 the president of NY& Atlantic told us they got a 1.3 million grant and there would even be a yard job out there. I think Kamco Builders and maybe a food distributor would be the first customers out there to be serviced.

Fast forward to 2010 the the LIRR finally installs the switch. As mentioned above it's like the last giant industrial parcel left on Long Island somewhere around 3000 acres. The only customer still to this day is Eastern Fence receiving plastic resin pellets.

To give some perspective the Brookhaven Rail Terminal on 100 acres does like 3/4000 carloads a year. Including in there is Riverhead Building Supply. The KO2- YA block limit of LIRR completely within the Town of Brookhaven is booming with freight. That is the stretch from Ronkonkoma to Yaphank for the novice.