Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#503714  by OportRailfan

Anyone else notice the new speedometer they have right before the portal entrance for the cars...any reasoning behind it?

#541753  by trackguy

I've noticed PATH has installed new speedometer in Caisson 2 Lower (when you take trains from Hoboken to 33rd St.) the first curved track (turnout/switch) after you are leaving Hoboken Station. I guess they installed it as a new measurement against "speeding" motorman who does not reduce speed when go through the curved track switches, which caused PATH train derailment in about a year ago...

In the PATH - Book of Rules, the restricted speed to go thru this curve between Signal L20X (B-1) and Signal 111Z in (B-2) is only 8 MPH.

This is a good move and a good reminder as many good and experienced railroad locomotive engineers are retiring and many young engineers who recently started lacks of patience and also will need more experience and reminders... unfortunately, I've recently noticed it is not working anymore... maybe it was broke by an un-happy motorman? I'm pretty sure without the speedometer; they could go as fast as they want... why do they always get away with this? It is not employee’s fault… but it is in the management… as in any railroad business… a railroads’ biggest responsibility is always "On Time" performance... not “Safety”… how sad…

Re:

#929786  by keithsy

trackguy wrote:I've noticed PATH has installed new speedometer in Caisson 2 Lower (when you take trains from Hoboken to 33rd St.) the first curved track (turnout/switch) after you are leaving Hoboken Station. I guess they installed it as a new measurement against "speeding" motorman who does not reduce speed when go through the curved track switches, which caused PATH train derailment in about a year ago...

In the PATH - Book of Rules, the restricted speed to go thru this curve between Signal L20X (B-1) and Signal 111Z in (B-2) is only 8 MPH.

This is a good move and a good reminder as many good and experienced railroad locomotive engineers are retiring and many young engineers who recently started lacks of patience and also will need more experience and reminders... unfortunately, I've recently noticed it is not working anymore... maybe it was broke by an un-happy motorman? I'm pretty sure without the speedometer; they could go as fast as they want... why do they always get away with this? It is not employee’s fault… but it is in the management… as in any railroad business… a railroads’ biggest responsibility is always "On Time" performance... not “Safety”… how sad…
The old-timers knew safety and punctuality.

Re:

#930561  by jb9152

trackguy wrote:… as in any railroad business… a railroads’ biggest responsibility is always "On Time" performance... not “Safety”… how sad…
Spoken like a true know-nothing.

Re:

#931654  by n2cbo

trackguy wrote: maybe it was broke by an un-happy motorman? I'm pretty sure without the speedometer; they could go as fast as they want... why do they always get away with this? It is not employee’s fault… but it is in the management… as in any railroad business… a railroads’ biggest responsibility is always "On Time" performance... not “Safety”… how sad…
[SOAPBOX Mode ON]
First of all the person operating the train on PATH is NOT a "Motorman" He/She is an ENGINEER!!! PATH is a REAL Railroad, and is under FRA regs.
The other thing is that PATH management (IMHO) DOES stress Safety First. How do I know this? I have sat on the PATH Advisory board many times, and have taken classes in Homeland Security with many of the management and line (Union Represented) personnel of PATH (I am the Emergency Operations Coordinator for US Region 2 [NY/NJ] US Army MARS). I have a very HIGH regard for both the management team and the operating personnel at PATH. Now unless they have put on a real good "Dog and Pony show" for me (which I very much doubt) I am convinced that PATH is one of the BEST RUN transit systems in the US.
[SOAPBOX Mode OFF]
 #938973  by Pennsyjohn

Patience, grasshopper!

First, the person who asked the question is probably familiar with the PRR.
On the Pennsy, people running electric engines were "Motormen"
People running steam (Later diesel) were engineers.

Such a small thing to be bothered with.
 #941340  by HBLR

I like the engineers who just take the equipment as fast as it can go. Some of the trains slow a whole bunch & inch into the tunnel, while others slow a lil bit & continue. Why is that speed marker there anyways? Are they afraid a train will sway into the tunnel wall on the curve?