Railroad Forums 

• Indiana RR to buy Latta Sub and trackage rights from CP

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#183684  by Arborwayfan

This article in the Terre Haute Tribune-Star, 11-9-05, says that CP is selling the Latta Sub to the Indiana Railroad. The trackage rights over CSX to Chicago and Louisville go with it.

http://www.tribstar.com/articles/2005/1 ... e/lb02.txt

There's been more traffic on the line lately. Those coal trains I mentioned in my last post are still running regularly. One consist has INDR power and private hoppers in IPL livery; the other has Indiana Southern power (I think; I usually drive by in a hurry with two kids) and Yankeetown Dock Company hoppers. I guess CPR is leasing foreign power to handle increased traffic, but I don't know for sure.

#196389  by brianpwestgate

Indiana Railroad and Soo Line have filed the application for INRD to take over the Latta Sub. There are two interesting things. Apparently there is the potential for INRD to acquire rights to Evansville over ISRR. I think that might just happen. In fact I'd like to see them acquire that line; ISRR would retain rights for competition's sake. The other interesting thing is that the rights to Chicago will be converted into haulage, to make it more economically feasible. Here is the link to the filing:

http://www.stb.dot.gov/filings/all.nsf/ ... 215359.pdf

#207759  by Arborwayfan

Thanks BrianPWestgate. I looked through part of the filing, and understood the new coal trains I've been seeing a little better. The one with Yankeetown Dock Company gonds and INSRR power must be the one that ends up running over the INSRR.

#288516  by Arborwayfan

Apparently the Indiana RR bought some power from CP along with the Latta Sub. I saw a southbound empty coal train in Terre Haute (crossing the remains of the Pennsy near Fruitridge Ave.) with two former Soo Line locomotives. The had full-sized Indiana Railroad logos on at least the side I could see, big enough to cover the whole SOO logo, but in red on white to match the mostly white Soo-line paint.

#309932  by RDGAndrew

Me: Railfan in Pennsylvania who spent two years in Bloomington, alongside the remains of the Monon and shooting CSX & (old gray scheme) INRD pix when not studying. Now planning a summer 2007 trip w/friends to chase INRD over former Latta Sub and into Bedford and Mitchell.

You: knowledgeable railroad.net user and Hoosier who can update me on INRD operations, best days, times, and locations to see trains in daylight, and other pertinent topics.

All you have to do is reply to this thread! Thanks in advance!

#312556  by Arborwayfan

I don't know much about what goes on further down the Latta Sub. (I'd like to know about Bedford, too, for example.)
If you're interested in coming to Terre Haute, there are several daylight trains pretty much every day. I haven't had a chance to watch very carefully lately, but there seem to be at least two daily pairs of unit coal trains (maybe still all of the three that are described in the earlier posts), an occasional mixed freight headed to or from the Latta Sub, and various local moves from Van Yard on Fruitridge Ave. (NE TH) to the other INDRR yard and an industrial spur on the S and SW side of town. Mid morning and mid-late afternoon are generally good times to catch a train, but they don't exactly follow a schedule.
I suggest waiting in Deming Park, on Fruitridge Ave. The park entrance is a grade crossing on the INDRR. You can find a picnic table or a good spot to sit, pull out a book, ball, or something else to do, and wait. The track runs north-south, so the pictures are better in the morning, but any time is doable. When the train finally comes, you can follow it in either direction. You can also spend some time at Springhill junction, south of TH, where Springhill Drive crosses all the RR tracks, and where CSX and Indiana Railroad have a diamond, plus a dead branch line and an industrial spur. There's a little business plaza there where you can sit in the parking lot, out of the way, at least on a weekend. There's never been anyone around for me to bother, so I don't know if anyone cares during the week. I used to take my daughter there, napping in her carseat, and read while waiting for a train. If you get a good map you can find a route to follow anything you see there.

#338959  by RDGAndrew

Thanks, Arborwayfan! Just received Clear Block Production's DVD of "CSX's Indiana Mainlines, Vol 2" that shows the spot you mention in TH, plus some of my old stomping grounds in Mitchell and Bedford. It rekindled my interest in this topic, and I'll definitely keep your info for reference as our June trip takes shape.

Happy New Year!