Railroad Forums 

• Favourite car type

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

What's your favourite subway car?

Rohr 1000 #1
38%
Breda 2000 #2
6%
Breda 3000 #3
8%
Breda 4000 #4
11%
CAF-IND 5000 #5
37%

#232898  by Robert Paniagua

Hmm, i see that there isnt a place for the Breda Rehabs - those are my favorites, followed by the other 3000/4000s.

Actually for the Breda Rehabs, they would fall under the Breda Cars Option I started with the Polls. Especially since all active Breda's 2000 & 3000 cars should be overhauled by now.

#232978  by Sand Box John

"Robert Paniagua"
Actually for the Breda Rehabs, they would fall under the Breda Cars Option I started with the Polls. Especially since all active Breda's 2000 & 3000 cars should be overhauled by now.

All of the Breda’s have not been rotated out for rehabilitation yet. Saw and road aboard a few on 03 27 2006.
 #238739  by DCmetrogreen

Alstom is rehabbing 2000s, 3000s, and 4000s but not 1000s.

They are going to replace them with the 6000s as they are reaching the end of their lives being built back in 1976.

It is harder to tell new cars from rehabbed cars because the interiors of them are the same- maroon and blue seats, metal poles, LED signs inside and new carpet.

The exterior differences between new and old cars are:
No DC plates on front door of new cars
Old car font windows have silver cladding, new cars have black cladding
New cars have exterior speakers
New cars have orange LEDs, Old have green LEDs
 #238886  by Sand Box John

"DCmetrogreen"
Alstom is rehabbing 2000s, 3000s, and 4000s but not 1000s.

They are going to replace them with the 6000s as they are reaching the end of their lives being built back in 1976.

The Rohr cars (1000 series) were rehabilitated in the late 1990s They are expected to be around until the middle of the next decade. WMATA will not retire the Rohr’s until all of the 7000 series car are delivered from a procurement contract that has not yet been advertised.

"DCmetrogreen"
It is harder to tell new cars from rehabbed cars because the interiors of them are the same- maroon and blue seats, metal poles, LED signs inside and new carpet.

I am assuming you are referring to the rubber and aluminum window moldings

"DCmetrogreen"

That would be Green flip dots. They only exist on the remaining unrehabilitated Breda’s

#239068  by Robert Paniagua

The Rohr cars (1000 series) were rehabilitated in the late 1990s They are expected to be around until the middle of the next decade. WMATA will not retire the Rohr’s until all of the 7000 series car are delivered from a procurement contract that has not yet been advertised.

Yeah, you're definitely right about this. AFAIK, I have not heard of any plans to retire the #1 cars until the next decade, since these units were rehabbed in the mid 90s. Therefore, the Kawasaki/Alstom #6 Cars will NOT replace the #1s. The #7s will replace the 1's when they come, but not for a long time to come.
 #253499  by Love Train

DCmetrogreen wrote:Alstom is rehabbing 2000s, 3000s, and 4000s but not 1000s.

Some interior differences between the CAFs and Rehabs are:

The CAF interior LED has a thin black outline, while the Rehab interior LED has a thick outline.
The door-closing light is off-center of the doors on the Rehabs but not on the CAFs

I'm sure there are more.

#255421  by Mike Morris

Alstom will be bidding on the rehab of the 4000s but biding has not started on this yet.
The 6000s are not replacing the 1000s.

Kawasaki has nothing to do with the 6K. The only Alstom/ Kawasaki project is the R-160 project in NYC.

#255465  by Mike Morris

From an operating standpoint-I like the 4000s. They and the 1000s are the most reliable.

The 1000s can be a PITA to work on since many components are huge and hard to work on since tech was an infant on these back then.

The rehabbed 2000,3000(still many that are not rehabbed) are the easiest to work on in regard to propulsion since they can now be scanned electronically. BTW rehabbed cars and 6000s come delivered with the old voice on the speakers.

The 5000s are by far my least favorite. They are noisy(can hear one from a mile away),unreliable and horribly built. Not to mention how long it took for them to get in revenue. They were a disaster from the start. Most Metro people HATE 5000s.

#255923  by Robert Paniagua

Oh wow, I didn't know that, Believe it or not, I like the pre-rehabbed 3000s ( my first ones I rode in 1986-87) for their cool propulsion sounds and the chopper-controlled hiss which sounds when moving and the CAF 5000s, and I think I'll like the 6's as well. The only thing about the 1000s that I like is the railfan seat which is sideways and only requires me to turn my head and not my whole body to look out front.

#326913  by series7000

Oh i liked the caf train :-D

#326996  by Love Train

series7000 wrote:Oh i liked the caf train :-D
Yeah, that is also my fave. Coolest propulsion noise, don't you agree?
 #511634  by LossOfCCU

I like the 8k cars with all the ignored problems. That had a friction brake problem on the front truck last night that created huge flats. The car has a great chance spoiling everyones commute if they cut those wheels today and release with armed guards.
 #610786  by R36 Combine Coach

LossOfCCU wrote:I like the 8k cars with all the ignored problems.
Lol, the 8000 series? The 7000 series has yet to be delivered (in development).
 #610801  by Sand Box John

R36 Combine Coach"
Lol, the 8000 series? The 7000 series has yet to be delivered (in development).

The 4 8000 series cars are former 1000 series cars. They are used for revenue collection. 1010-1011, 1044-1045 were renumbered 8000-8003.