Railroad Forums 

• Circa 1946 Anderson Depot

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1516585  by Roger Hensley

An Eastbound passenger train is arriving and pulling into the station track at Anderson IN.
Bret Hodge Photos.

#1516688  by Allen Hazen

Thank you for posting this (in addition to all the other stunning photos of the old New York Central that you have posted)!

The lead E-7 on the approaching train seems to be painted with the standard version of the lightning stripes. I think the first ones delivered had a slightly different appearance (or am I thinking of the earlier FT units?). So, if it is from 1946, either the change in striping pattern was made after the first few units or (I suspect unlikely) repainting started very quickly.
 #1516690  by Allen Hazen

The "Fallen Flags" rail image site has photos (in the New York Central diesel locomotives section) of 4000, 4002, and 4003 in the earlier paint scheme (in which the stripes cross the nose much higher up, just below the headlight), at least one of the photos being dated from the early1950s. Later units seem to be shown only with the later version of the scheme, shown on the units in this photo.
 #1516830  by Roger Hensley

Doing research, I found 3 paint schemes in 1947 for Passenger E units. I guess it depends where the loco was painted at that time. In any event, All of the cars (automobiles) in the photos are 1937 to 1940, maybe 1946. Certainly nothing newer. So... Circa 1946 will have to stand. :-)