LIRR Video with Question

Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
nyandw
Posts: 3724
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2004 12:41 am

LIRR Video with Question

Post by nyandw » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:41 pm

At 3:13, an eastbound passenger train passes a westbound freight. What's unusual, is that the freight has motive power on each end. A GP38-2 on the west end and an MP15ac on the east end with freight cars in between, sans caboose.

Anyone that might shed light on the move? Possible engine problem with the Mp15ac, perhaps?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVhNvfW ... e=youtu.be Thanks.

Cannon Ball
Posts: 47
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:29 pm

Re: LIRR Video with Question

Post by Cannon Ball » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:16 am

Engine on each end allows crew to switch facing point sidings as well as trailing point sidings on the first pass by. Shortlines do it all the time! Lumber yard gets his car today, instead of tomorrow after an overnight round trip to Montauk or Greenport (at least in the old days!)...

Teutobergerwald
Posts: 957
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:01 am

Re: LIRR Video with Question

Post by Teutobergerwald » Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:20 pm

The Oyster Bay-bound train had an E-20 on each end. I don't think I ever saw that before.
Searching for the eagles of the XVII,XVIII & XIX Legions in Germania.

Backshophoss
Posts: 6324
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:58 pm

Re: LIRR Video with Question

Post by Backshophoss » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:28 pm

A"borrowed" Port Jeff equipment set sent to Oyster Bay?
The Land of Enchantment is not Flyover country!

MACTRAXX
Posts: 4163
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:55 am
Location: Islandia,Long Island,NY

Re: LIRR Video with Question

Post by MACTRAXX » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:54 pm

Cannon Ball wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:16 am
Engine on each end allows crew to switch facing point sidings as well as trailing point sidings on the first pass by. Shortlines do it all the time! Lumber yard gets his car today, instead of tomorrow after an overnight round trip to Montauk or Greenport (at least in the old days!)...
CB: I will second you here...
When Conrail operated the Lansdale, PA (freight) Cluster during the 1990s trains going out to switch
customers in the local area used two locomotives on either end of the consist.
I was told that it made switching chores easier...NYA was a relatively new operation in 1999 and likely
used the two locomotives to make their job on busy LIRR lines run smoother...MACTRAXX
EXPRESS TRAIN TO NEW YORK PENN STATION-NO JAMAICA ON THIS TRAIN-PLEASE STAND CLEAR OF THE CLOSING TRAIN DOORS

MACTRAXX
Posts: 4163
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:55 am
Location: Islandia,Long Island,NY

Re: LIRR Video with Question

Post by MACTRAXX » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:05 pm

Teutobergerwald wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:20 pm
The Oyster Bay-bound train had an E-20 on each end. I don't think I ever saw that before.
TBW: What you saw was an Oyster Bay "Pull-Pull" train...These trains ran with two GP38-2 (E20)
locomotives along with 2900 series cars during weekday peak hours during the transition years of 1998 to
2000 while the old fleet was still in service - and there was actually a surplus of available GP38s. The main
reason was that engines could not be turned at Oyster Bay and to not have to run them long hood forward.
MACTRAXX
EXPRESS TRAIN TO NEW YORK PENN STATION-NO JAMAICA ON THIS TRAIN-PLEASE STAND CLEAR OF THE CLOSING TRAIN DOORS

MACTRAXX
Posts: 4163
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:55 am
Location: Islandia,Long Island,NY

Re: LIRR Video with Question

Post by MACTRAXX » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:18 pm

Steve (and Everyone:)

Another noticeable difference about the then-almost new DM/DE30 locomotives is their original front end
without the horns that would be added during the 2000s. The original horns were in a roof indentation which
was about in the middle of the locomotive and because of this their horns had to be exceptionally loud.
There were complaints about horn noise - and how these horns were set up to operate automatically by
programming their use was disliked by engineers (one button was pushed to whistle for grade crossings
being a good example) and led to the change to the front end horns operated traditionally as needed...
MACTRAXX
EXPRESS TRAIN TO NEW YORK PENN STATION-NO JAMAICA ON THIS TRAIN-PLEASE STAND CLEAR OF THE CLOSING TRAIN DOORS

krispy
Posts: 437
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:56 pm

Re: LIRR Video with Question

Post by krispy » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:32 pm

That vantage point will soon be gone, nice hit whoever got it.

nyandw
Posts: 3724
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2004 12:41 am

Re: LIRR Video with Question

Post by nyandw » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:06 pm

MACTRAXX wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:18 pm
Steve (and Everyone:) Another noticeable difference about the then-almost new DM/DE30 locomotives is their original front end
without the horns that would be added during the 2000s. The original horns were in a roof indentation which
was about in the middle of the locomotive and because of this their horns had to be exceptionally loud.
There were complaints about horn noise - and how these horns were set up to operate automatically by
programming their use was disliked by engineers (one button was pushed to whistle for grade crossings
being a good example) and led to the change to the front end horns operated traditionally as needed...MACTRAXX
Would this be an example of the original horn config?
Image

MACTRAXX
Posts: 4163
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:55 am
Location: Islandia,Long Island,NY

Re: LIRR Video with Question

Post by MACTRAXX » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:36 am

Steve: The picture you posted shows a DM30 with its as-built appearance without the added horns.

To view the original horn configuration a picture of the roof is needed showing the original horns in the
indentation on the roof. This was plated over when the horns were relocated to the front end.

For example builders diagrams of the DE/DM30 units do show the original location of the roof horns.

MACTRAXX
EXPRESS TRAIN TO NEW YORK PENN STATION-NO JAMAICA ON THIS TRAIN-PLEASE STAND CLEAR OF THE CLOSING TRAIN DOORS

Return to “New York & Atlantic Railway/NYNJ Rail”