Railroad Forums 

• $10 Unlimited Weekend Fare

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1474931  by Diverging Route

Rbts Stn wrote:Too bad the last train out of Providence is too early to really enjoy a night at Waterfire
And the first inbound from Providence on Sundays won't get you to Boston until 12:30pm!
 #1475578  by hs3730

I'm surprised they didn't try the more obvious approach of free weekend parking to increase weekend patronage (like pretty much everyone else in the Northeast does). This $10 fare is a far better deal for passengers but also more expensive for MA...
 #1475677  by Diverging Route

An out-of-town friend (who had no idea of the weekend special) came into Boston on an early Worcester train today (boarding at Framingham). I asked him if the conductor offered him the $10 weekend special, but he said when he asked for a round-trip, he was sold the $18.50 round-trip standard Zone 5 fare. I told him to go to the ticket window in South Station and complain.
 #1475700  by Arborwayfan

Maybe they particularly want to attract passengers from the city to the suburbs/outlying cities. Plenty of day-trip potential in Salem, Rockport, Lowell, Concord, and so on. Free parking out there would not help.

I wonder if the conductors have been told to sell the $10 fare only if people specifically ask for it, or if that particular conductor messed up.
 #1480163  by Lincoln78

I rode from Ayer-BON-Haverhill and back last weekend. (Free parking in Ayer, plus I had never been past Concord on my home Fitchburg line. First time on the T CR in 20+ years and first other line ever).

I had earlier found it a challenge to learn where to buy the ticket (it is on the website). I asked for the "weekend special"; I noticed that the conductor wasn't offering it to people (good for the MBTA revenue..)

Went to The Tap in Haverhill. Red Sox were on so I didn't go on their porch which overlooks the Merrimack bridge. Still saw a few commerters, Downeasters, and a northbound PAR powered by some CSX relics.

Not sure where to try next.
 #1480166  by RenegadeMonster

According to the automated message they play in the trains advertising the weekend ticket, you should be able to buy the weekend ticket onboard the train or through the M-Ticket App. It also says the weekend tickets are available at Back Bay, North and South Station.
 #1497037  by ayerjunction

The weekend pass program has been continued into 2019. For the sake of any "mileage collectors out there, I have prepared spreadsheets of all weekend train arrivals and departures by route for both North and South stations. It would be interesting to see who can do the most miles over the most routes in a weekend. Anyone interested in these spreadsheets to plan some "binge riding"?
 #1497273  by jonnhrr

RenegadeMonster wrote:Definitely.

Also, what is the most scenic milage to check out first?
Probably the Eastern Route out to Rockport/Newburyport.
 #1497274  by HenryAlan

I would enjoy seeing the spreadsheets, and also wonder about which lines are most interesting. I have ridden Needham, Providence, Midleborough, Newburyport, Lowell, and Fitchburg all or at least almost all of the way. Of the others, which hold the most visual interest? I'm thinking in terms of both scenic countryside and hidden industry/infrastructure that can't be seen from the highways.
 #1498127  by daybeers

I would also be interested! I'm from CT so I really haven't explored much of the MBTA's system at all, but my sister lives in Wellesley, so I'd love to also see the most interesting/scenic lines.
 #1498135  by Graeme Salt

There is a lot of interest in US railroads from enthusiasts here in the UK, particularly in those commuter operations still running older power such as MBTA. I don't anticipate being able to make a return visit to Boston anytime soon myself (was there last February chasing GP40s and F40s,) but I know a few people who would find these spreadsheets interesting and with permission I would like to share them via this IO group: https://groups.io/g/narg/topics" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1498375  by ayerjunction

ayerjunction wrote:The weekend pass program has been continued into 2019. For the sake of any "mileage collectors out there, I have prepared spreadsheets of all weekend train arrivals and departures by route for both North and South stations. It would be interesting to see who can do the most miles over the most routes in a weekend. Anyone interested in these spreadsheets to plan some "binge riding"?

SPREADSHEET OF WEEKEND ARRIVALS AND DEPARTURES FROM NORTH AND SOUTH STATIONS

These are the links to shared Google Spreadsheets for weekend service out of North and South stations:

NORTH STATION
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

SOUTH STATION
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

If these don't work for you contact me at my email: [email protected]