Did some railfanning around Delano/Quakake/etc this past Sunday.
I followed part of one of my favorite LV lines - the Lehigh & Mahanoy from Delano down to Mahanoy City.
It was easier than usual to find traces of the line, what with snow on the ground & leaves on the trees.
Having said that, it's not exactly the easiest line to follow anymore. Parts of it seem to have been dug up
for the underlying coal.
1. Just as you're headed west out of Trenton headed for Park Place, there are a set of bridge abutments crossing Park Place Road.
They are very easy to find and they run at a 90 degree angle to the L&M. Anybody know what this spur served (coal mine, most likely)?
2. Following the line to Mahanoy City proper and still on Park Place Road, I found a bridge still standing over North Mahanoy Creek and the remnants of a coal loader?
This is on your left as you head south into Mahanoy City. It's not too far south of the intersection with Robinsons Road.
Can anybody confirm this was the LV proper?
The reason I ask is because a Reading branch seems to have run parallel to the LV on the west side of Park Place Road, and I found at least two bridge abutments
on that line. One is in the SW corner of Park Place Road & Robinsons Road, and another was further south of there not too far from the LV bridge I mentioned.
3. I'm guessing that the LV and Reading lines crossed on a diamond somewhere near the brewery on the north side of Mahanoy City. Anybody know for sure?
4. There appears to have been a wye right at the brewery and the eastern leg ran parallel to the Reading main and then went to a coal mine? Anybody know for sure,
and if so, what mine and when did service stop?
5. What would the LV have served in Mahanoy City - what industries? I'm guessing the brewery, and anything else?
6. When did the LV cut the line west out of Mahanoy City? The line made a big loop from Kehley Run Junction to Barry Junction and reconnected to the L&M at each end.
So the part I'm asking about is from Mahanoy City to Barry Junction.
7. Is there anything to see from Mahanoy City to Barry Junction? I've been up there at least 5-7 times and can't seem to find even a trace of that part of the line.
Was it entirely mined out after abandonment?
8. In Yatesville, did the L&M and the Reading coal spur up from Saint Nicholas ever connect or cross each other on a diamond etc?
Many thanks to anybody who can help. I find this part of the country fascinating, and have been following abandoned lines up there since the early 1980's.
I'm still nowhere near figuring out where all the different lines were, lol!
Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.
1 post • Page 1 of 1
- Discover RAILROAD.NET
- ↳ News, Announcements, FAQ and Help
- Passenger Rail
- ↳ General Discussion - Passenger Rail
- ↳ Amtrak
- ↳ California Commuter & Transit
- ↳ Canadian Passenger Operations: AMT, Go Transit, VIA, etc.
- ↳ Chicagoland Commuter & Transit
- ↳ DC - Maryland - Virginia Area Passenger Rail: MTA(MARC), VRE, WMATA(Metro)
- ↳ Florida Commuter Rail: Metrorail, Sunrail, Tri-Rail and Proposals
- ↳ Long Island Rail Road (LIRR)
- ↳ Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)
- ↳ MTA Metro-North Railroad and CtDOT Passenger Rail
- ↳ NYC MTA Subway and Rail, PATH and SIRT
- ↳ New Jersey Transit NJT Rail and Light Rail LRT
- ↳ SEPTA (and PATCO)
- ↳ Virgin Trains Worldwide (includes Brightline)
- Class I National Freight Railroads
- ↳ General Class I and II Discussion
- ↳ BNSF Railway (Burlington Northern Santa Fe)
- ↳ Canadian National/Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western
- ↳ Canadian Pacific Railway
- ↳ Conrail - 1976 to the Present
- ↳ CSX Transportation
- ↳ Ferromex and other Mexican Operations
- ↳ Kansas City Southern and Affiliates
- ↳ Norfolk Southern
- ↳ Union Pacific
- Class II Regional Freight Railroads
- ↳ Alaska Railroad
- ↳ Florida East Coast Railway
- ↳ Genesee & Wyoming Inc. Class II & III Lines
- ↳ Great Lakes Central Railroad
- ↳ Indiana Rail Road
- ↳ Iowa Interstate Railroad
- ↳ Montana Rail Link
- ↳ New York, Susquehanna & Western - Past and Present
- ↳ Paducah and Louisville Railway
- ↳ Pan Am Railways (formerly Guilford Rail System)
- ↳ Providence and Worcester Railroad
- ↳ Reading, Blue Mountain, and Northern Railroad
- ↳ Wheeling and Lake Erie Railway
- ↳ Wisconsin and Southern Railroad
- Class III: Short Line, Industrial, Military, Terminal and Railroad Holding Companies
- ↳ General Discussion: Short Lines, Industrials, and Military
- ↳ Arcade & Attica Railroad
- ↳ Central Maine & Quebec Railway (formerly Montreal, Maine & Atlantic / Bangor & Aroostook)
- ↳ Genesee Valley Transportation Family (DLWR, FRR, MAN, DL)
- ↳ Iowa Pacific Holdings Class III Lines
- ↳ Livonia, Avon, & Lakeville Family (LAL, BH, WNYP)
- ↳ Morristown & Erie Rail Operations
- ↳ New York & Atlantic Railway/NYNJ Rail
- ↳ OmniTRAX Class III Lines
- ↳ Pioneer Railcorp Family of Lines
- ↳ Progressive Rail Family of Lines
- ↳ R.J.Corman Railroad Group
- ↳ WATCO Companies Class III Lines
- Railroading and Railfanning by Region and State
- ↳ Canadian Railfan
- ↳ DelMarVa & Washington, D.C. Railfan
- ↳ Midwestern Railfan
- ↳ New England Railfan
- ↳ New Jersey Railfan
- ↳ New York State Railfan
- ↳ Pacific Northwest Railfan
- ↳ Pennsylvania Railfan
- ↳ Southeastern Railfan
- ↳ Western Railfan
- ↳ Worldwide Railfan
- Fallen Flags
- ↳ General Discussion: Fallen Flags
- ↳ Anthracite Railroads - CNJ, L&HR, LNE, LV and RDG
- ↳ Baltimore & Ohio/Chesapeake & Ohio/Western Maryland
- ↳ Boston & Maine/Maine Central
- ↳ Burlington Northern, GN, NP, CB&Q, SP&S, SL-SF
- ↳ Central Railroad Company of New Jersey
- ↳ Granger Railroads - C&NW, Rock Island, and MILW
- ↳ Delaware & Hudson
- ↳ DL&W, Erie and Erie Lackawanna
- ↳ Lehigh and Hudson River Railway
- ↳ Lehigh and New England Railroad
- ↳ Lehigh Valley Railroad
- ↳ New York Central
- ↳ New York, New Haven & Hartford Railroad NYNH&HRR
- ↳ New York, Ontario, and Western Railway
- ↳ Norfolk & Western, VGN, WAB, NKP, P&WV, ACY, IT
- ↳ Penn Central
- ↳ Pennsylvania Railroad
- ↳ Pennsylvania-Reading Seashore Lines
- ↳ Reading Company
- ↳ General Discussion: Fallen Trolley and Interurban Lines
- Manufacturers: Locomotives, Rolling Stock, and Equipment
- ↳ General Discussion: Locomotives, Rolling Stock, and Equipment
- ↳ Alstom
- ↳ American Locomotive Company - ALCO
- ↳ Baldwin-Lima-Hamilton
- ↳ Bombardier
- ↳ EMD - Electro-Motive
- ↳ Fairbanks-Morse
- ↳ General Electric
- ↳ Kawasaki Rail: Global and Kawasaki Rail Car Inc
- ↳ Nippon Sharyo
- ↳ Rebuilders & Smaller Locomotive Works
- ↳ Self-Propelled Railcars
- ↳ Siemens USA Rail Solutions
- ↳ Stadler
- ↳ Steam Locomotives
- General Railroad Discussion
- ↳ Books, Magazines, Music, TV, and Movies, and other Media
- ↳ Employment
- ↳ Gaming & Simulations
- ↳ Museums, Tourist Lines, and Historical Organizations
- ↳ Operations, Facilities, Maps and Resources
- ↳ Photography & Video
- ↳ Radio and Communications
- ↳ Rail Trails
- ↳ Railroadania For Sale and Want Ads
- ↳ Toy Trains, Model Railroading, Outdoor and Live Steam
- ↳ Travel & Trip Reports
- ↳ Teen Railroad Enthusiasts
- ↳ General Discussion: About RAILROAD.NET