Railroad Forums 

• "Up North" Gawking (District 1 sightings)

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1521249  by CN9634

It's all going by truck-- no rail potential. That isn't to say there will never be any, but I know who these guys are and no plan to ship by rail. They like having access to old mill infrastructure however
 #1521286  by newpylong

Long term likely will depend on how much the technology is accepted here in the US. As I understand it, it's still bigger in Europe and people are just getting into it here. If things progress, then they may have a need for more inbound lumber volume, and outbound timber loads. I would agree, for a burgeoning business, hard to see rail to start.
 #1521705  by gokeefe

Whatever is going through Winthrop tonight must have a K5LA on it ... It sounded so much like the Downeaster that I actually thought it was the real thing and started wondering for a moment which train it was. Then of course I recalled that this was impossible ...
 #1521733  by MEC407

Yes, they have to go through Winthrop to get to Waterville. (By "CSX engines" I assume you mean the ex-CSX engines now owned by PAR)
 #1521754  by MEC407

Absolutely. Several of PAR's ex-CSX C40s and B40s have K5LA horns. That's almost certainly what gokeefe heard. :)
 #1522122  by KSmitty

For the record, they aren't even running the occasional extra up to Perma Treat this time. They have GMTX 205 sub-leased from EMRY and taxi a crew (NM-1?) up to switch. They send everything up CMQ and Irving drops the spent tie cars and chocolate chip gons at Keag.

They did run down and back up once I believe as 205 made an appearance at NMJ. Might have had to do with CM&Q not accepting some of the beat to hell ex-D&H 2 bay MofW hoppers. Or maybe they needed to 92 day the 205, not sure if it went to Waterville or not...

All may be a moot point: if CM&Q is sold and Irving is the buyer it's hard to believe daily trains will ever run to 'Keag by way of Old Town again.