Railroad Forums 

• medical records

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#971585  by dlandk

When you go for your physical and drug test for NS, do they request a copy of your medical history?
Also, does high blood pressure medicine show up in the hair drug test?
 #972430  by AEM7AC920

I can't speak directly for NS but most railroad physicals are similar on either hand so I would say be ready to state all of your medical history as asked on the forums they usually give you to fill out prior to the physical regardless of how big or small you may think it is. If something shows up during the physical that you don't know about or disclose than it will send up a red flag and can delay the process. If you have any current conditions I would say its normally good to take a letter from your primary doctor stating that you are fit for the job and everything is under control.
 #972743  by Chuck84

No. The high blood pressure mess won't raise a flag, they just look for narcotics.
 #996937  by Off Pending

Chuck84 wrote:No. The high blood pressure mess won't raise a flag, they just look for narcotics.
Tell that to the many NS emplyees who get put on medical hold each year, who get caught failing to notify said department of a medication they were taking. The FRA is tightening up on medical regulations, and having high blood pressure can land one out of service. NS also has a rule that states employees MUST report ANY prescription medication usage to the medical department.

While it is true that a drug test won't catch it, you are still required to report any prescription meds you are on.

Don't try to sneak anything past them. If they find out you failed to report something during the application process, your conditional offer will be revoked and you will be fired if you are a conductor trainee.
 #997100  by COEN77

Off Pending wrote:
Chuck84 wrote:No. The high blood pressure mess won't raise a flag, they just look for narcotics.
Tell that to the many NS emplyees who get put on medical hold each year, who get caught failing to notify said department of a medication they were taking. The FRA is tightening up on medical regulations, and having high blood pressure can land one out of service. NS also has a rule that states employees MUST report ANY prescription medication usage to the medical department.

While it is true that a drug test won't catch it, you are still required to report any prescription meds you are on.

Don't try to sneak anything past them. If they find out you failed to report something during the application process, your conditional offer will be revoked and you will be fired if you are a conductor trainee.
No one not even the railroad has the right to violate your right to privacy. Especially if you're already employed. I don't know about the NS but CSX which one could consider was taken over by NS higher management with Tony Ingram & David Brown hasn't gone that route. My medical problems & prescriptions was none of their business if it doesn't show up in a FRA random drug test. Listing it on an application is another matter. Not sure if one has to grant them permission to have access to all medical records. That's a heavy issue.
 #997317  by x60pilot

You sign a medical release, which asks for all physicians you have seen and a list of prescriptions. What if you have a heart attack and cause an alert car to derail and it kills 100's of people? Some people are destined to be railroader. They ask the questions for a reason.
 #997416  by COEN77

x60pilot wrote:You sign a medical release, which asks for all physicians you have seen and a list of prescriptions. What if you have a heart attack and cause an alert car to derail and it kills 100's of people? Some people are destined to be railroader. They ask the questions for a reason.
I can understand being required to give a release for an application. Once hired no one has to give the railroad any medical information. We are entitled to private lives outside the railroad. As for heart attacks on the job I've known two engineers that died at the throttle that's just life. The more important issue is if the railroads go to "engineer only" trains. In both these cases the conductors were able to bring the train to a stop. Without someone else in that cab no telling about the outcome. Hearts attacks are pretty much ignored by the railroad these days. At one time it could end ones carreer. I know people that have had quadruple bypasses normal time off 3 months, heart attacks a few weeks ect....it's not the railroad of yesterday this is the new railroad. Your response of "some people are destined to be railroaders" true in some way. I like to think of it as the railroad life chose the person not the other way around. It gets in ones blood they embrace the lifestyle or they'll be miserable. Asking questions is what this forum is about.