Railroad Forums 

• Dam at Edgewood, Illinois 1926

• Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA
Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

#988792  by terry03

Is anyone aware of a dam being built by the Illinois Central at Edgewood, Illinois in 1926?
Last edited by terry03 on Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
 #988823  by CarterB

Only "Edgewater" I know of in IL is a Chicago neighborhood on the North side.
 #989064  by CarterB

There is a dam right along an IC line near Laclede (just East) for Patterson Lake. The ROW runs just to the East of the dam over a short trestle over the outlet.
Not sure who built it or when, however. N 38.87483 W 88.67254
 #991682  by terry03

CarterB wrote:There is a dam right along an IC line near Laclede (just East) for Patterson Lake. The ROW runs just to the East of the dam over a short trestle over the outlet.
Not sure who built it or when, however. N 38.87483 W 88.67254
I finally found this on Google Earth and yes, this must be the dam. The next question is why did the IC build the dam. I can think of three reasons, 1st is for protecting the track from flood waters, 2nd is water for the locomotives and 3rd is maybe they had an ice house there to cool produce shipped from the south. I haven't been able to find out why.