Railroad Forums 

• CNW--Sioux Falls, SD

• Discussion relating to The Chicago & North Western, the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific, the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific Railroad (Milwaukee Road), including mergers, acquisitions, and abandonments.
Discussion relating to The Chicago & North Western, the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific, the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific Railroad (Milwaukee Road), including mergers, acquisitions, and abandonments.

Moderator: Komachi

#953096  by Station Aficionado

I spent much of last week in Sioux Falls. I saw the four remaining depots--GN, CRIP, IC and MILW. CNW also served Sioux Falls, although passenger service was gone at some point before 1955. Does anyone know if CNW had its own station in Sioux Falls and, if so, where it was located and when it was torn down?
 #982900  by Minneapolitan

I have no idea.

But if C&NW shared a depot, I'd guess it shared with the Great Northern. First off, is it really a good idea for each railroad to have its own station in such a small city? There's already three others. Someone must have got wise, and shared with a railroad with a different geographical base. Second, both C&NW and Great Northern shared the same general route into the city from the east.
 #982994  by Desertdweller

Somewhere in this house, stuffed away in a box, are slides I took of all passenger stations in Soux Falls in 1971. I don't remember if C&NW had one, but if they did, I have its picture.

A little more to the point, you have to remember that these stations were built in the era when competing railroads were not on speaking terms. Maybe thirty years later, they would co-operate (at the city's urging) in building a union station.

This situation was typical for the time. Aberdeen SD had four stations: M&StL; MILW; C&NW, GN. All were still standing when I lived in SD until 1994. The M&StL station was, I think, a dairy. The GN station housed a law office. This station was right downtown, and was unusual in that although it was small, it was a stub-end terminal. The C&NW station was used for MOW by the DM&E (I think it was later donated to an historical society), and the MILW station was used by the BN on the ex-MILW line they were using for coal trains.

Winona, MN had five railroad stations. Also built during the period when railroads were not on speaking terms.

I'll post an update when I find my slides.

Les
 #1002443  by vermontanan

A 1945 Official Guide shows that Sioux Falls was served by 5 railroads and 5 railroad stations.

It indicated the CStPM&O (C&NW) station was:
207 yards from the GN station
270 yards from the IC station
9/16 mile from the MILW station
3/8 mile from the CRI&P station.
 #1004601  by Station Aficionado

vermontanan wrote:A 1945 Official Guide shows that Sioux Falls was served by 5 railroads and 5 railroad stations.

It indicated the CStPM&O (C&NW) station was:
207 yards from the GN station
270 yards from the IC station
9/16 mile from the MILW station
3/8 mile from the CRI&P station.
Very interesting info. Guess it's time to get out the compass and ruler (or their digital equivalents).