Railroad Forums 

• Dream models that you hope will be manufactured

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#971735  by umtrr-author

I was at Time Machine Hobbies earlier this year. I'm in N Scale and there was not all that much to choose from, certainly less than during my previous visit two years earlier. The HO Scale selection looked to be about the same. Seeing the building was quite a treat in itself.

Meanwhile, I'll throw in a dream for N Scale E-44s. No, we will never see one as a commercially available model. My father has one in HO in brass in PRR paint, NJ International was the importer if I recall correctly. So there is one in the family with which to be content.
 #976515  by delvyrails

We need a generic HO rail-motor car/gas-electric car. Both Walthers and Spectrum missed the bet by coming out with a single-end Electro Motive vehicle with cab and working coupler at only one end. They require a loop, wye, or turntable at each end of any run. Maybe that's why they haven't sold well.

Decades ago, Suydam produced a double-ended HO brass Brill Model 350 which was perfect for the job. Little detail and a mediocre power drive is why they're rarities today.

A plastic model of the 350 or one of the smaller double-end Brill motor cars would be perfect. Unlike the RDC, it's perfectly prototypical to haul any combination of passenger, freight, or express cars behind a rail motor car.
 #976551  by green_elite_cab

Otto Vondrak wrote:
jaystreetcrr wrote:My point, which other above posters have made, is to not wait around for your dream model, especially if you're modeling anything out of the mainstream. Kitbash, customize, compromise or shell out some $ to a custom builder or painter. It all depends on how accurate you want to be and what you can afford... So yes, push the big manufacturers for mass market models that they can actually make a buck on, work with the small time guys by doing some research or paying up front for some castings, and don't be afraid to pick up that Xacto knife or airbrush.
Indeed! The model railroad industry is not built on hopes and dreams, but what the manufacturers think the market will absorb. And never underestimate your own ability to create what you want! Practice, practice, practice...
Personally, I think some of us have become spoiled, and perhaps a skewed perspective. I agree with you on the point above about doing stuff yourself, Since a lot of these models can be had with a little extra time put in.

Going back to your point on NJ DOT E8s, I'm sure people are thinking "If atlas made a U34CH in bluebird colors, why not an E8 (by another manufacturer)?"

We see these models as highly desireable since everywhere we go (in the regions surrounding New Jersey), U34CHs are popular and go for good money. Atlas continuously brings out NJ transit models of one kind or another every once in a while (such as the recent GP40-2, gondolas and caboose), and two of the three manufacturers of F40PH models make them in NJ Transit schemes.

The truth is, there IS money to be made on these prototypes, but its a "One and Done" deal.

Modelers of NJ transit are lucky that the sheer numbers of jerseyites (we're the most populated state in the country surrounded by two of the largest cities in the US) are enough to warrant production of ANY NJ transit and related models. Manufacturers know they can sink some money on such a model at least for one run, since there is quite a small but ravenous demand for them. They know though, that after the first run, the market will reach saturation.

I think just the existence of some of these models provokes the "why not?" question that makes demands for things like the NJ DOT E8s a constant.

Personally, I would not be surprised if they did make an NJ DOT E8 at some point, since they did run for a little while and have a reasonably attractive paint job. However, I actually think the E8 is probably one of the only models in NJ DOT paint scheme that would have a chance at being produced.

I kinda hope they do, since painting one of those things will be a pain in the butt! Its going to be a bad day trying to mask and decal those curvey paint jobs on the nose.
 #976880  by B44NYC

Wish list....

Along with a NJDOT E8, I would love to see a Proto 2000 Penn Central E8 in HO..(I have to assume MTH is going to eventually do the E8's in HO soon)
An Overland brass E60CP (Amtrak, NJ Transit)
Re-release of the Heljan X2000 and the IC3 (Amtrak).
Trix (Marklin) Amtrak X995 in 2 rail DC.
RTR FL9 (Metro North, New Haven, Penn Central, Amtrak)----Rapido??
Updated version of the Bachmann Metroliner & Jouef ROHR Turbo Train ----Rapido again??
RTR Washboards & ACMU's (New Haven, Penn Central, Metro North)
RTR NYC T-3

Structurewise, I would love for Kato to produce their N scale elevated Unitrack set in HO scale, with matching elevated station.
 #977020  by green_elite_cab

B44NYC wrote:Wish list....

I was SURE I saw a 2-rail DC version of the Marklin model, RTR from the box. Am I crazy?
Branford Hobbies produced these, complete with paint. I called them about 9 months ago and they still sold them. I lost the number, but its on this website somewhere if you search the posts for it. IHP was selling Undecs by that company, but I'm told that Branford Itself will sell them already painted (I was looking into an EP5 from them).

Here is a link to the IHP page, so you can see the model. http://ihphobby.tripod.com/hopages/hofl9page.html
Updated version of the Bachmann Metroliner
After seeing the MP54s, I'd hate to think what a Metroliner might cost... though on the other hand, if they can stay reasonable, i'll go for a set.
[/quote]

your prayers have been answered, though these hurt more than Concor's MP54s-

http://www.modelmemories.com/mupics.htm#ACMU

info-pricing

http://www.modelmemories.com/mucars.htm

Of course, there is always the IHP ACMU, which though unpainted, is atleast cheaper than buying a powered/dummy pair from Model Memmories.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HO-ACMU-Commute ... %26ps%3D50
 #977169  by B44NYC

Wow, I never heard of Model Memories, but I might seriously think about taking a look at them.

I'm disappointed in Concor's price point on their MP54's but I might go ahead and grab a set to support the company. The last thing we need is another manufacturer to go belly up, and outside of Rapido, they seem to be the only mainstream manufacturer that is taking a risk in the "niche" market.

Its a shame that some of the most requested items on older modeller's wish list (FL9, EP-5, T-3) are niche market items that are only available now from start up companies or brass imports but I'm glad to see it's been improving over the years.

Not too many people that I'm familiar with (Generation X) that are into scale railroading, are modelling the "Panana Limited" or the "Orange Blossom Special" but are modelling what they see in their own backyards (SD70's, ES44AC, MP36) thus the hobby has to get more modern and more broad minded to survive.
 #977923  by Otto Vondrak

B44NYC wrote:An Overland brass E60CP (Amtrak, NJ Transit)
These were mass produced in plastic by a couple of manufacturers a number of years ago. Not much of a market to do it again...
Re-release of the Heljan X2000 and the IC3 (Amtrak).
Updated version of the Bachmann Metroliner & Jouef ROHR Turbo Train ----Rapido again??
Don't hold your breath.
FL9's are already available in brass and as resin kits. There's a remote possibility they could be mass-produced, but no one seems to want to make the leap to produce a specialized chassis for the five-axle design. Other locomotives are easy to produce because they are based on a four- or six-axle chassis that can be adapted to a number of other diesels. If you produce an FL9 chassis, you can't really use is for anything else, which means you are incurring huge expense. Even if one gets produced as an RTR model, what do you think it will retail for? $150? $200?
RTR NYC T-3
Besides me and you, who else is going to buy those? Who needs fleets of MU's and electric locomotives that are specific to New York City area? The washboards are available in brass, the ACMU's are available in brass and resin, but you'll have to pay a little more to get what you want. T-motor was imported in brass some 20 or 30 years ago. Again, not suitable for mass-production.

Do a Google search, you'll see (as mentioned above) that some of the models you are "dreaming" about already exist! But do you want to shell out the money for them?

-otto-
 #978679  by Earle Baldwin

Sunset has announced the FL9 with an ABS plastic body in O scale:

http://www.3rdrail.com/reservation.html#FL9

As an O gauger, I've been blessed with the opportunity to acquire a variety of models of prototypes typically associated with the New York City Metropolitan Area such as the NYC S and P Class electrics, New Haven EF-3, the CNJ 1000 and a number of Pennsy motors including the L5, BB1 and DD1.

Models of unique equipment appear to sell well in O gauge. Now I have to start whispering in the manufacturers' ears about the CNJ double ender!
 #978915  by Otto Vondrak

Earle Baldwin wrote:Sunset has announced the FL9 with an ABS plastic body in O scale:

http://www.3rdrail.com/reservation.html#FL9
$529.95 for the FL9 and $499.95 for the T-motor. There you go. You want your special niche models? You pay for 'em.

-otto-
 #978926  by Earle Baldwin

Absolutely. You "gotta pay to play" with models of this nature. I'm definitely in for the FL9; I just haven't decided which road to purchase. At this point, I've pretty much narrowed it down to New Haven or Metro-North. Truth be told, I'm surprised the FL9 and T-motor are not priced higher.

While looking through the thread again, I noticed someone mentioned the NJT ALP-46. MTH will be releasing an O scale version of the locomotive within the next few months. I saw the sample and MTH looks to have captured the details of the Transit version rather nicely. The NJT version is being released as part of a series of TRAXX models most of which are of course decorated in foreign liveries. Provided the locomotive is released prior to Christmas, I expect Santa will be leaving it under the tree for my son as we see the real thing on a daily basis.

A number of years ago, Overland released exquisite HO models of two CNJ legends - the double ender and GP40P. Unfortunately, the stars were not in perfect alignment relative to my finances when they were released and I had to pass. When they become available - which is not often - they typically command high prices and rightfully so. The last time I saw a GP40P at auction it was one of the rebuilt NJT units and it went for over $1200. That said, I know they're out there and with a bit of diligence I'll probably get my chance at some point. Like it or not, I'll have to be prepared to pay if I want it that badly.
 #978996  by green_elite_cab

I'm kinda surprised there isn't a resin GP40PH-2 of some kind out there.

I can think of 5 railroads from Massachusetts to Virgina that use some sort of GP40PH-2 locomotive. NJT, CDOT, and VRE use locomotives that are, aside from small details that the consumer can add, identical. MARC and MBTA have wide cab versions, that share a similar long hood, and after market parts could be adapted to the shells for people who really want those.

I recognize they are niche models, but i'm just surprised that the demand for some more obscure and regionally limited types have consistently managed to beat the GP40PH types.
 #980261  by Desertdweller

Well, if we are talking dream models here, how about an N-scale model of the Union Pacific observation car "Copper King"? The one with the round Polaroid windows that can be adjusted for darkness by rotating them.

For that matter, how about N-scale models of the UP dome diners and the square-end dome observation lounges?

Or, for a larger market, streamlined baggage-bar cars in both smoothside and corrugated? Or, streamlined grill-coaches and cafe-observations?

Wishing is free.

Les
 #982138  by Otto Vondrak

green_elite_cab wrote:I'm kinda surprised there isn't a resin GP40PH-2 of some kind out there.
Would you settle for a GP40FH? We ran an article in the October 2011 Railroad Model Craftsman on how to model an NJT GP40FH using a resin shell from IHP and mating it to an Atlas GP40 chassis.

http://carstensbookstore.com/october20112.html

-otto-