Railroad Forums 

• THE ULTIMATE NYA INDUSTRIES MAP

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #970767  by NYCS

I've been trying to get a feel for the "geographic spread" of the various industries New York & Atlantic serves throughout Queens, Brooklyn and Long Island. I've decided to create a personal map using Google Maps and establish a placemark for each industry or customer listed on the NYA website (my baseline data). Working with everyone here, I hope to refine this map to be 100% accurate. I understand the customers listed on the NYA website (and consequently, my map) are out of date; some customers have discontinued rail service, others may have changed names, others may have started rail service and aren't listed on the NYA website, etc.

I post this map knowing full well that it is full of errors; it is baseline data compiled from an outdated website. It is my hope that everyone can take a look at it, click on the placemark for the industry name and see the commodity received/shipped, and we can get a discussion going so that I can make this map as accurate as possible. Let the bullets fly, hold no punches! Let's get this map as close to real life as we can. What info is outdated? What info needs to be added or changed? Let me have it!

View and explore map here:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=215 ... 0d70&msa=0

Thanks everyone! What's the first thing that needs changed?
 #970813  by NYCS

tahawus84 wrote:Nice map.
Brookhaven Rail Terminal in Yaphank
Metro fuel in calverton
eastern fence in calverton
What about Metro Fuel? I followed the NYA mainline through Calverton and didn't see any sidings. Nearest I have is Paraco Gas in Riverhead. Also, where does Eastern Fence go? Can you provide an address or intersection?

Brookhaven Rail Terminal I'm saving for last... until the satellite imagery is updated.
 #970867  by Sir Ray

NYCS wrote:What about Metro Fuel? I followed the NYA mainline through Calverton and didn't see any sidings. Nearest I have is Paraco Gas in Riverhead. Also, where does Eastern Fence go? Can you provide an address or intersection?
Both are/will be here, in the Calverton Enterprise Park, which I think the rebuilt line opens today (14 Sep 2011) with a Ceremony.

Doesn't NY&A interchange w/ NYNJ RR around the former Brooklyn Army Terminal in Bay Ridge? Would that be worth noting on your map.

Also, can you add a blurb in your pop-ups indicating at least which town the industry is in - at that scale the map starts at, that pop-up's arrow could easily point to 3 or 4 Long Island sized villages...
 #970900  by Teutobergerwald

And maybe add to the blurb what kind of cars the customer receives, and frequency of service by NYA, i.e., a "D" for daily, "2" for twice a week, etc. Also, are the team tracks NYA serves, such as in Richmond Hill, Hicksville, Huntington, Greenlawn, etc. listed as such, or as the off-line customers served there? I couldn't really peruse the map to see. Good job, though.
 #970908  by tahawus84

yaphank/shirly there is a place that recieves cars of ballast and stone. it is on the sw side of moriches road behind atc. sorry i dont know the company name
 #970944  by NYCS

Thanks for the ongoing feedback, everyone. Just a friendly reminder - you can use the map controls to zoom into the map to the level you can clearly see railcars and sidings. The placemarks have been placed on the industrial siding or the building for each industry. (this is why I didn't put the town in the description). In addition to getting the industry roster refined, I'm also hoping some of you may notice that the placemarks are incorrectly placed on the wrong building or wrong siding. The map is fully interactive, and zooming in will give you a more detailed representation of the NYA customer locations. It's a great idea to put the cars received in the placemark description, so I will work on that.

Also, I was not able to find the locations for the following customers listed on the NYA website. Perhaps they are team track customers... anyone know where they might be unloaded?

Triple Star Horse Feed - Queen Village, NY (cars unloaded where?)
New Yung Wah Trading - Long Island City (cars unloaded where?)
Ozone Park Lumber - Richmond Hill (cars unloaded where?)
Nicolia Concrete - Yaphank and Babylon (cars unloaded where?)
Velvetop Products - Islip (cars unloaded where?)
Eastern Wholesale Fence - Hicksville (cars unloaded where?)

Thanks for your help and input everyone! When this is finished, this will be a tremendous resource for ALL of us. Feel free to link to the map in future discussions or for your personal use. We just need to get it more accurate first :-)

Remember to zoom in and see if the placemarks are correctly located.

Matt
Last edited by NYCS on Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #970949  by NYCS

tahawus84 wrote:yaphank/shirly there is a place that recieves cars of ballast and stone. it is on the sw side of moriches road behind atc. sorry i dont know the company name
Thanks! I have updated the map with a placemark on that location. I set the name of the industry to "Rock Customer (name unknown)"
 #970972  by Sir Ray

NYCS wrote:Triple Star Horse Feed - Queen Village, NY (cars unloaded where?)
This has to be the sporadic boxcar of hay to Belmont Racetrack - if so, the cars are parked at the south end of the Passenger Station (sometimes viewable in certain orientations in Bing - note, not the MOW equipment in that view, just the boxcar)
Ozone Park Lumber - Richmond Hill (cars unloaded where?)
Maybe the Richmond Hill tracks - not sure, I remember they used to offload lumber there, but that was a decade agao.
Eastern Wholesale Fence - Hicksville (cars unloaded where?)
There have been threads about tihs, I thought it was in the John Street yard, but I am not certain if they are even customers anymore
 #971004  by NYCS

Awesome! I have added placemarks for both Triple Star Horse Feed and Ozone Park Lumber. The latest Google satellite imagery taken on June 17, 2010 shows two centerbeam flatcars spotted at the Richmond Hill tracks, so I'm going with that :-)

Anyone else use the Richmond Hill tracks as a team yard, that you are aware of?
 #971050  by NYCS

I have discovered that the stone unloading place in Yaphank/Brookhaven on the southwest of Moriches Road is for NICOLIA CONCRETE. The pictures on the Nicolia website of that facility matched what I saw in Google Earth and Bing Maps. The NYA INDUSTRIES Map now updated.
 #971086  by tj48

Velvetop Products - Islip (cars unloaded where?)..... I believe they are unloaded on the team track next to the Islip train station on the same siding that 84 Lumber gets its cars
 #971133  by NYCS

Sweet! So all that's left now is to figure out:

1. Eastern Wholesale Fence and their locations (are they still in business and/or ship by rail?)
2. NYA website lists ConEdison in Hicksville, commodity diesel fluid. Anyone know anything about this and location?

Also, can anyone tell me why there are tons of covered hoppers here? Who is this west of Hicksville? I put the placemarker for ConEdison here since it's the only place I see close to Hicksville with tank cars spotted in the satellite imagery, but what about all these covered hoppers? Also, is this really the ConEd dropoff?
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=215 ... 8,0.009645
 #971152  by Sir Ray

NYCS wrote:1. Eastern Wholesale Fence and their locations (are they still in business and/or ship by rail?)
2. NYA website lists ConEdison in Hicksville, commodity diesel fluid. Anyone know anything about this and location?

Also, can anyone tell me why there are tons of covered hoppers here? Who is this west of Hicksville? I put the placemarker for ConEdison here since it's the only place I see close to Hicksville with tank cars spotted in the satellite imagery, but what about all these covered hoppers? Also, is this really the ConEd dropoff?
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=215 ... 8,0.009645
Your google map link is pointing at the Hicksville Yard (John St. Yard), as I mentioned earlier upthread.
This thread comfirms that those hoppers are for Eastern Fence.
Now, remember I mentioned Calverton Enterprise Park, and that Eastern Fence (and Metro) are there - well, apparently they are supposed to start getting those hoppers out there instead of Hicksville - no idea when this begins.

Con Edison makes no sense loading out in Hicksville - Nassau & Suffolk are LIPA/National Grid territory. Are you sure it was ConEd (the power company), and are you sure it was Hicksville? BTW, diesel fluid? Really? Never heard that term before.