Railroad Forums 

• East Chester, NY L&HR station

• Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail
Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail

Moderator: David

#965874  by walterconklin

Hello,

Does anyone have information about the East Chester, NY station when it was in existence next to Chester Lumber? I am particularly interested in photos of the station and track layout at the station when the building was at East Chester. Reading the Lehigh and New England book written by Ed Crist and John Krause and a few threads on this forum, I understand that the station was latter moved to Sugar Loaf and positioned the wrong way from the track. I am also curious to find out how did automobiles got the station at Chester.

Thank you for your time

Sincerely,
Walter Conklin
 #967658  by pumpers

walterconklin wrote:Hello,

Does anyone have information about the East Chester, NY station when it was in existence next to Chester Lumber? I am particularly interested in photos of the station and track layout at the station when the building was at East Chester. Reading the Lehigh and New England book written by Ed Crist and John Krause and a few threads on this forum, I understand that the station was latter moved to Sugar Loaf and positioned the wrong way from the track. I am also curious to find out how did automobiles got the station at Chester.

Thank you for your time

Sincerely,
Walter Conklin
Looking at an old Sanborn map, a stub of Main St went straight across Route 17M and bent right a little (coming from the northwest) and then ended at the tracks. The station was just to the right of the street if you were looking at the tracks. The little jog at the corner I see on modern arial photos wasn't there.
Now the interesting part for you, which is probably why you are asking: You probably know all this already, but anyway here goes. Right behind the station, away from the tracks, was a much larger building labeled "Walter J. Conkin, Building Material & Coal" , with one end up against the Main St. stub end. Looks like it could be the same building I see there today on google maps. The station was between the Main St. end of that building and the tracks. Just past the station (to the southwest ) was a smaller building labeled "Freight", with a siding from the south ending at that building. Otherwise single track in front of the station, with more sidings on the other side of the tracks and of Main St (CHester Grange, building seems still to be there too). Send me a message with a regular email address and I'll figure out how to send you a copy. JS

JS
Last edited by pumpers on Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #967661  by pumpers

Found this too: about 1/2 way down the page is a picture of the station (click on it) and a mention of the "Conklin Side Track". What is on my map may be the "freight house track", so I'm not sure where the Conklin track might be.
JS
http://www.gingerb.com/L&HR_Warwick_to_Maybrook.htm

Also, Conklin siding held 4 cars: see 1/2 way down: http://sh1.webring.com/people/bk/king50 ... lley1.html