Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#952787  by jr145

Hi everyone, I have this old rollsign and I was wondering if anyone could tell me what it may have come out of. I believe it is a bus rollsign but I'm not 100% sure. It has Court St - Boro hall,Concourse - Bedford park and a few others. If anyone has any ideas let me know.

And for this one I just wanted to check if the top destination is the start point and the bottom one is the terminus, is that correct?

#952857  by Allan

jr145 wrote:Hi everyone, I have this old rollsign and I was wondering if anyone could tell me what it may have come out of. I believe it is a bus rollsign but I'm not 100% sure. It has Court St - Boro hall,Concourse - Bedford park and a few others. If anyone has any ideas let me know.

And for this one I just wanted to check if the top destination is the start point and the bottom one is the terminus, is that correct?

The first one is from an R10 series subway car. From the lettering I would say the roll sign itself is original.

The second is what was used on R44 and R46 cars in the 1980's just before they put digital signs on the sides of the cars. The top is the northern terminal (179 Street - Jamaica, the bottom is the southern terminal (World Trade Center).
 #952906  by railfan365

The Jamaica-179th Street sign would more likely be from an R-9. The R-10's had the adjustment crank on the bottom - and they were smaller.
 #953191  by Allan

I didn't notice the crank handle on the right side of the sign frame.

I agree that it is probably from an R9 or possibly one of the earlier models as well - R1, R4, R6 R7 or R7A.
 #961352  by jr145

Hey everyone, just in case anyone is interested I mounted the R46 sign on the wall and wired in a few neon tubes behind it to backlight it. Just thought I'd share.

#961358  by 3rdrail

Very nice, JR ! Lighting these rollsigns really makes them come alive. You're the only other person that I have ever seen do that with the exception of myself. I made a box with bulb attachment for a SF Muni sign, which is always a conversation piece in my office when people come in. (If you do this and use a bulb, just make sure that your bulb has space between it and your canvas, along with ventilation.) (The two orbs by the "B" are just reflections on the glass from a ceiling lamp.)
 #961374  by jr145

I agree that the light really brings it to life. It adds another dimension to it.

I was lucky enough to get the entire roll about 10 years ago, before the fad of cutting them into individual pieces came along. I really wish I could get more complete rolls but I don't think many of them exist anymore. And if they do exist they're absurdly expensive. I believe I paid $200 for the entire roll, and now individual pieces are going for anywhere from $50 - $200 each. Its absurd.
 #962631  by jr145

Heres a small sample of some of the other destinations.

#1254254  by 4400Washboard

Complete rolls are still available...

The MTA sells R32, Redbird and R40 sides.

eBay varies day-to-day but as of yesterday (3/1/14), R1-9 Front Destination, R62A Side, R11 Side, Numerous Queens bus front rolls, misc. trolley and other buses outside of NYC, SEPTA subway