Railroad Forums 

• North Jersey Rapid Transit

• This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.
This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.

Moderator: Nicolai3985

#948750  by oldrow51

Just finished the Quimby book and want to find as much of the line as still exists. What, if anything, of the Glen Rock viaduct stills exists and where can I see it, exact streets etc?
 #948757  by CarterB

The viaduct over the BC Line is long gone but you can see the ROW where it crossed between Salem Ct and Glen Ave in Glen Rock. There used to be a bit of concrete foundations there as well. ROW visible (and mostly walkable/bikeable) north all the way to Mahwah, south to McBride Ave in Fair Lawn. A bit of ROW visible in Fair Lawn between Rt 208 across from McBride to the water tank on 11th St.
 #966404  by Ken W2KB

CarterB wrote:The viaduct over the BC Line is long gone but you can see the ROW where it crossed between Salem Ct and Glen Ave in Glen Rock. There used to be a bit of concrete foundations there as well. ROW visible (and mostly walkable/bikeable) north all the way to Mahwah, south to McBride Ave in Fair Lawn. A bit of ROW visible in Fair Lawn between Rt 208 across from McBride to the water tank on 11th St.
Very visible since the owner retained it to construct electric utility lines and thus keeps it clear of trees (hence the wood chips). That said, I'm not sure the owner appreciates its use for walking or biking by the public.
 #1048648  by orr44sgt

Check out Alibris Books for "Interurban Interlude". I purchased a copy several years ago because the line ran through my backyard in Ridgewood. I'd like to find more photos of the line. I saw one posted in the front window of the Krauzer's Store in HoHoKus( not included in the book). Structure of the hdqtrs. completely gone now: including the platform of concrete).
 #1108964  by ghab

I grew up next to the ROW on Chestnut Street in Ramsey. I remember when it was a dirt path in the 70's and when they eventually converted it into a paved bike path. My sister and I used to ride our bikes all the way to Allendale following the paved portion onto the dirt path, which would drop you off right by where the Allendale train station is today. It was also a great way to get to the Interstate Shopping Center in Ramsey, as the ROW ran directly behind to where the bowling alley and movie theater used to be.
 #1447245  by toptrain

Well, Ho model trains and bicycle-riding are my pastimes, I am looking to go up north here in Jersey and Bicycle ride the right away. When seeing it on Google maps it appears to be open enough for one of my 5 or 8 miles out and back rides. At 71 my hamstrings are nowhere near they use to be, and I don't want to push them too hard. So Railtrails and canals towpaths are my stomping grounds. Not many big up and downs. Now traction did regularly climb more steper grades than railroads and I hope this one didn't. Also, does anyone know it PSE&G who claims the right away, allows the use of it for recreational purposes?
* This last question I may find out the answer to on my own because I will be putting my bike in the back of my vehicle for a ride up to Patterson and then across the bridge to Fairlawn. Maybe I'll leave my car up at a park up along the right away them ride back to close to the Passaic River and return to the park and see how my hamstrings are reacting today. I'll be turning around close to where Westmoreland ave ends at a left turn where Parmelee rods starts. They make a 90-degree turn that points to the start of the line in Fairlawn.
frank
 #1447246  by toptrain

As to the start at Westmoreland- Parmelee intersection, you can only go 2 blocks and the then RT 208, a 4 lane highway blocks your way north. 11th street is midway in this section. I'll park there and walk the 2 blocks. The only other obstacle is the ole Erie railroad and a short detour a few blocks in either direction on Glen Avenue will be necessary. Well, away I go on another adventure. there are 2 houses built on Glen Avenue blocking the rightaway. I really think access has been completely blocked through this section of trail, Rt208 to the railroad. I guess this path doesn't start till the other side of the railroad.