Railroad Forums 

• Erie jokes

• Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.
Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.

Moderator: blockline4180

#315416  by Erie3319

"The Erie Railroad has discontinued handling corpses between Jersey City and Buffalo for fear that they will not arrive in time for the resurrection."

Underwood Era timetable entry.

#323357  by Idiot Railfan

"Remember that girl from the railroad?"

"Erie?"

"Well, she was pretty scary."

pa-da-tump!

"Did you hear about the guy who got run over by a train, and they found a winning lottery ticket in his pocket? Lucky stiff."

Thank you, thank you. I'm here all week!

#323404  by calorosome

A man was depressed over losing his wife to another man and decided to end it all by laying across the O&W tracks and waited for the train... and waited... and waited... then he died of starvation.

OK not an Erie joke but a goodie nonetheless.

#323542  by Idiot Railfan

calorosome wrote:A man was depressed over losing his wife to another man and decided to end it all by laying across the O&W tracks and waited for the train... and waited... and waited... then he died of starvation.

I call you Killer, 'cause you slay me!
 #323545  by Matt Langworthy

Idiot Railfan wrote:
calorosome wrote:A man was depressed over losing his wife to another man and decided to end it all by laying across the O&W tracks and waited for the train... and waited... and waited... then he died of starvation.

I call you Killer, 'cause you slay me!
A desparate guy tried to swallow a ruler and he couldn't kill himself by the inch so he went to Gang Mills and died by the yard...
 #939927  by JimBoylan

I don't know if this is one of the Official Erie jokes that were published in the timetables about 1902, but it is on the Internet at:

http://s145079212.onlinehome.us/rr/humor/trainjokes.htm

What railroad couldn't keep their engines shiny?

The Erie!

Huh? Why was that?

It's because of Lackawaxen.

copyright © 2005,2006,2007 by Charlie Comstock

[There was a Mr. Comstock associated with "Railroad" Magazine, which had an article about the Erie Jokes in its 1st issue, back in 1906.]
 #941283  by JimBoylan

Another official Erie joke:

There was a commuter who had nothing bad to say about the trains or railroad that he patronized, and it was even alleged that he got home in time for dinner - but he didn't travel on the Erie!
 #946314  by Schuylkill Valley

I volunteer at Steamtown and we have an older guy up there who uses to work for the DL&W /EL/Conrail. He told me that EL stood for Extra Late!

Len.
 #946320  by JimBoylan

Maybe not the exact words, but another of the Official Erie Jokes:
A man comes rushing up to the window at the Consolidated Ticket Agency and breathlessly exclaims, "I've got to get to Buffalo in the worst way". So, the agent sells him a ticket on the Erie!
 #1437812  by ExCon90

I recall reading in Theodore Scull's book on the Hoboken Terminal that someone on the Erie came up with a lampoon of the Phoebe Snow rhymes touting that road's freedom from cinders, which got around somehow, possibly in an Erie publication:

Said Phoebe Snow in the dining car,
"I did not order caviar."
The waiter dusted off the bread.
"That is not caviar," he said.