Railroad Forums 

• EMD SD70ACe series official thread (covers all variations)

• Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.
Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#924903  by prakash

Thank you, Rick! Appreciated.

Few questions.

1) Is A3432 TM in SD70ACe designed by Mitsubishi or EMD?
2) If it is designed by Mitsubishi, was there a complete transfer of technology so that EMD can manufacture them as their own?
3) IGBT inverters are designed by Mitsubishi for sure. But who manufactures them? EMD or Mitsubishi?
4) Is there a complete transfer of technology to EMD from Mitsubishi?

Thanks in advance for help.

--Prakash
 #975372  by electric heat

Hey Gang,

I have a question about the BHP SD70Ace units. On the firemen's side of the units there is a pair of small blue tanks above the rear end of the fuel tank. I had heard from some that this was a pressurizing system of some sort for the cab due to the sandstorms and dust clouds in the Outback. Is this true or are these tanks for some other purpose?

Thanks
 #976037  by Pilbara Rail

electric heat wrote:Hey Gang,

I have a question about the BHP SD70Ace units. On the firemen's side of the units there is a pair of small blue tanks above the rear end of the fuel tank. I had heard from some that this was a pressurizing system of some sort for the cab due to the sandstorms and dust clouds in the Outback. Is this true or are these tanks for some other purpose?

Thanks
If you are talking about the tanks in this image:
http://www.pilbararailways.com.au/bhp/l ... e_015.html

Then they are the fire fighting or suppression system that is fitted to all units.
Even the ex-BNSF 'pumpkins' got them when fitted out in Australia.
Some of the tanks are also red.
 #979906  by Pilbara Rail

They are used to 'fill in' the top of the steps and are used primarily when the units are shopped so maintainers can step from the walkways to the unit without the worry of a gap. They are also used by crews as correctly stated to walk around the units long hood without the step opening.

I have images of them in both positions if required.

Cheers,
Pilbara Rail.
 #1006490  by D.Carleton

Norfolk Southern has ten more SD70ACe's on order for 1st quarter 2012 delivery. It's a safe bet they will be built in Muncie. But is there any chance of them coming as kits to be assembled at Altoona?
 #1006495  by MEC407

I suppose that depends on shop capacity at Altoona, how fast does NS need them, cost difference between Altoona kits vs. building them in London, Muncie, or Mexico, etc. Lots of possibilities here.
 #1010846  by MEC407

Trains Magazine is apparently reporting that BNSF Railway has asked Electro-Motive to build a new variation on the SD70ACe, to be known as the SD70ACe-P4. Apparently BNSF is so happy with their ES44C4s from GE that they'd like to try something similar from EMD.

Source: http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/r ... 32,2670263
 #1012005  by JayBee

The first EMD SD70ACe-P4 has been released from Muncie and was photographed in transit to EMD-LaGrange for additional static testing before beginning road testing. What is a SD70ACe-P4 you ask? It is EMD's answer to the GE ES44C4, a six-axle AC motored locomotive with four out of six axles powered. The EMD P4 differs from the GE C4 by using a different arrangement of powered axles, GE uses an A1A truck, while EMD uses a B1 truck. On the EMD locomotive the axle closest to the fuel tank on each truck has no traction motor, on the GE it is the center axle that is unpowered. The second difference is the method used to transfer weight from the unpowered axle to the two powered axles, GE uses a pneumatic cam system to raise the spring seat, EMD modified the rubber resilient secondary suspension to allow the natural weight transfer that wants to occur in the opposite direction to traction motor rotation to happen (normal trucks and suspension systems are designed to prevent this). BNSF has ordered 10 of this new model for delivery in the second half of 2012, unconfirmed reports say that 4 of BNSF's SD70ACes will be modified to this type before the first new version is delivered. The prototype is painted similar to the Tier 3 test locomotive 2012, and is numbered EMDX 4223. EMD has designed a locomotive like this for India already, the GT46PAC.
 #1037102  by alasgw

JayBee wrote:The first EMD SD70ACe-P4 has been released from Muncie .... The prototype is painted similar to the Tier 3 test locomotive 2012, and is numbered EMDX 4223. .
4223 is not a P4