Railroad Forums 

• L&HR 4-6-0 Camelbacks

• Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail
Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail

Moderator: David

#924485  by walterconklin

Hello,

I am looking for images and/or specs of the L&HR 4-6-0 Camelbacks, particularly those that the Middletown & Unionville Railroad later owned. I am in need of data about these locomotives and images showing what they looked like for a modeling project. I do have a copy of Doug Barberio's excellent Middletown & Unionville Railroad book, which features an image of one of the Camelbacks that the M&U owned.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,
Walter Conklin
 #924500  by Paul Miller

Hi Walter,
do you have the Ed Crist/John Krause books on LHR, or Jim Boyd/Tracy Antz book? I'm almost positive they have some camelbacks in them. I will check when I get home about some spec sheets I may or may not have. According to Marty's website, LHR #'s 23,32, and 33 were the ones that went to Middletown and Unionville R.R.
 #924515  by Paul Miller

If you live near Warwick, I'm pretty sure the library there (Albert Wisner) has the aforementioned books. I'll be home in a few hours and will search for any specs.
 #924518  by walterconklin

Hello,

I use to live near Warwick and spent many hours at Albert Wisner library, but not any more, as I have moved away from the area.

Thank you for offering to look up the locomotive specs for me.

Sincerely,
Walter
 #924531  by Paul Miller

A few specs for you Walter,
Camelbacks #'s 23,32, & 33 built in 1907 by Baldwin, cyls=21X26, wheel drive = 64, weight = 153,400lbs, LHR #23 sold 11/22/22 to M&U which became their #2,
LHR #33 sold october 1924 to M&U-became their #3, LHR #32 sold October 1927 to M&U-became their #4.
There's a nice shot of #23 in the Boyd/Antz book on page 54. Incidently, any Camelback numbered 23-34 would be the pics you can look for. If you give me your e-mail address I may be able to get some to you.
 #924550  by Paul Miller

Walt,
a few more specs:
Steam Pressure-200 lbs.
Grate Area 81.6 sq. ft.
Heating surface-1862 sq. ft.
Weight on drivers-123,150 lbs
Tractive force-30,450 lbs.

that site you just mentioned is great! should give you plenty to work with
good luck and keep us posted

Paul
 #924740  by Paul Miller

Hello again Walt,
Actually the pic I have of #23 is the same as on the railfan site, and it's the same pic in the Boyd/Antz book.
 #924764  by walterconklin

Hi Paul,

Thank you for your help.

Do you have any other information as to the dimensions of the L&HR 4-6-0 Camelback in regards to the length or height of the locomotive, the boiler size, and driver diameter?

Sincerely,
Walter
 #925055  by walterconklin

Hi Paul,

I forgot to ask the following question. Do you know if the L&HR 4-6-0 Camelbacks had slide valves or piston vales?

Thanks for your help.

Sincerely,
Walter
 #925251  by Paul Miller

Walt,
if the driver size refers to wheel size, it would be 64 inches in diameter as stated above. I'm not very good with actually knowing about the engines, more of a building and station kind of guy! All the info I gave you I quoted from an article about the camelbacks, none from my knowledge. Marty, some help here?