Railroad Forums 

• Getting to MG tower & video locations at Horseshoe Curve?

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
 #919351  by Vakharn

I took a trip out to the Horseshoe Curve area last October, good times were had and much video was taken. However, I found myself frustrated when it came to figuring out how to get to certain oft mentioned locations. I did wind up climbing up to the spot called "the ledge" which turned out to be quite a bit of work, and I heard a lot about MG tower, but didn't get around to visiting it. I'm planning a trip back to the area this September and would like to see if I can get up to MG tower this time. I don't have an SUV, and I've heard the road up to MG tower is rather bad. I do have a Subaru with AWD but it doesn't have great ground clearance. Would I be able to get up to MG tower in that, or is it likely I would get stuck? Also, can anyone recommend another good place to take video of the curve (aside from the ledge) that won't be as obstructed by trees as the park itself? Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

Also, in case you're interested, here's the link to my youtube playlist from that trip. It might help to know which spots I have and haven't tried.

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... 86E683867B
 #921404  by jgallaway81

For one thing, all the access roads, as well as all the property by MG tower are all private property. (I think the roads are restricted gamelands, while the space at MG is obviously railroad property)

If you have the capability, your best bet for picture spots other than the visitor's center would be to bring a quad (four-wheeler) and use teh trails around the area.

Also, be advised, the Altoona-area municipalities have sold/leased a lot of the property near the curve to a new wind farm, which has a tower almost directly above the curve... (its back just far enough to not be visible from the curve itself, thankfully that requirement was written into the contracts). I have heard, though don't know for myself, that much of the formerly open are up there has been locked off by the company installing the turbines.

Good luck, don't trespass, and have fun.