Railroad Forums 

• Stanley Yard aftermath, 2 questions

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#9159  by nycrick

Five years ago when NS & CSX were taking apart CR Stanley Yard was offered to NS but they passed on it, later they admitted that was a mistake. Does anyone know if they might move in now that CSX is gone.
Also after GT closed Lang they started send their classification work to Stanley. Might they move back to Lang now?
 #9876  by MSchwiebert

I do not believe that NS would want Stanley yard, as Bellevue yard now serves the purpose that Stanley did for Conrail (classifying traffic from the west and Michigan for southern destinations). As for the CN traffic, I believe that this traffic bound for the NS is handled pre-blocked in a train that terminates at Bellevue (train # is 353 I believe)

#10170  by ToledoTerminalRy

I went by Stanley Yard yesterday and there were only 2 trains there, one on the old main, to the back of the yard, and the other through the maintenance building.....sure did look strange. As of then there were no tracks missing, that I noticed. Then I traveled to Walbridge.... WOW! those trains are just PACKED in there. Before they downgraded Stanley, I dont recall ever seeing a train parked past the old hump there. When I went by there were trains parked continuously past the autorack yard (over 3 miles). The power at Walbridge is sprawled all over...as I did not notice an engine "pad". Its....different.

Ryan

#10171  by ToledoTerminalRy

I also have a question. At Stanley they had a container facility. Was this ever very busy, even before the Mega Terminals expansion of their container facility? Also with Stanley now downgraded where will their container business (if any) go?

Ryan

#10913  by burp621

Not to nitpick or anything, but unless Lang closed briefly during my hiatus from railfanning, Lang Yard is up, running, and very active. I drive by it daily to see what's going on.

It is a great spot to see foreign power (I counted over a dozen locomotives from 5 different roads there today) and some interesting fallen flag cars as they come into the repair shop.

Burp

#11254  by nycrick

Using the word "closed" was probably wrong. But GT no longer uses Lang to classify trains, they moved all their switching to Stanley in the late 90s. Lang is mainly a holding yard for coal going north to Detroit Edison, changing power, etc... See Clear Block Production's "Into the 90s: The Grand Trunk - Vol. V, The Shore Line Subdivision" video tape. Sorry for the confusion. This tape also has an interesting section about operations at the Monroe Power Plant.

#11738  by burp621

Thanks for the clarification. I'd have never guessed they would classify elsewhere with the volume of cars I see going through there.

Burp :D