Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#895879  by netrain

I am trying to figure out the detail on the R142 trains (not R142A though). There is a red stripe that fades in and out along the mid-region of the first car's side. I do not see it on the other cars. Is the makeup ABBBA, and perhaps only the A cars get that faded red stripe (making the first, fifth, sixth, and tenth car striped)? Is the red stripe on both sides? Also, is the black and red face on the front of the A car only the the front of that A cars? I do not see it on the other cars either.

Thanks,
netrain
 #896023  by Allan

netrain wrote:I am trying to figure out the detail on the R142 trains (not R142A though). There is a red stripe that fades in and out along the mid-region of the first car's side. I do not see it on the other cars. Is the makeup ABBBA, and perhaps only the A cars get that faded red stripe (making the first, fifth, sixth, and tenth car striped)? Is the red stripe on both sides? Also, is the black and red face on the front of the A car only the the front of that A cars? I do not see it on the other cars either.

Thanks,
netrain

It is only on the "A" cars because it indicates the cars where passengers in wheelchairs should board. Only the "A" cars have the fold-up seats behind the cab. (This applies to the R142A, R143 and R160 "A" cars as well - although the R160A, option & and R160B orders don't have the fold up seats.)
 #896205  by netrain

ahh, makes perfect sense. thanks. any idea about the black/red face of the A car in the front? which cars have those faces? just the A cars? just the front A cars?
 #896268  by R36 Combine Coach

Only the "A" cars at cab end. The red cab ends were (reportedly) done as a tribute to the Redbirds the R142s would replace.