Railroad Forums 

• Croxton NJ yard--what type of work done here ??

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
 #889668  by drewg350

I'm not sure if this is suppose to be, or will be changed to, the "Employment Board", but I'm trying to find out what type of work goes on at the Croxton, NJ yard. Is this a busy yard? Is it mostly "yard work" or "road work" for conductors? Is this mostly or all "intermodal" traffic? Where from this yard does the traffic head to? I know it runs down the Lehigh main line to Manville, NJ and than out to PA, but any others, and where does it go north? Is this terminal bascially the exact same type and work that CSX has in their Kearny, NJ yard? I'm going to an interview for a conductor position in a few days and I'd like to know some more about this specific yard. If anyone reads this and works at Croxton, or has worked there, please fell free to send me a PM. I would very much like to ask a few more questions. Please accept my apology if this is in the wrong board, and thanks to anyone who takes THEIR time to respond. I really appreciate it.
 #889993  by drewg350

Hey Mike, thank you very much for the information. Do you, or have you, worked for NS? If so, do you know how things generally work on those trains heading out each day? Would a new hire (conductor) be doing mostly "yard or road" work from this terminal? With my current job, I'm away for 20+ days each month and if given a choice, I'd much prefer to continue this and take "road work" if I can. Obviously I'll do whatever I'm asked but I was curious as to how things work in this terminal. Thanks again for taking YOUR time to respond. I appreciate it !! Drew g
 #889997  by MikeJ

drewg350 wrote:Hey Mike, thank you very much for the information. Do you, or have you, worked for NS? If so, do you know how things generally work on those trains heading out each day? Would a new hire (conductor) be doing mostly "yard or road" work from this terminal? With my current job, I'm away for 20+ days each month and if given a choice, I'd much prefer to continue this and take "road work" if I can. Obviously I'll do whatever I'm asked but I was curious as to how things work in this terminal. Thanks again for taking YOUR time to respond. I appreciate it !! Drew g

I currently work for NS in management on the Harrisburg division (which includes Croxton). I believe in most cases new conductors end up with yard work, but that may not always be the case. As for Croxton in particular, I am not sure how much yard work goes on there. Since stuff comes in by truck, they can place it where they need it to be in order to assemble a train (meaning that there may not be much switching and yard work at Croxton).
 #890041  by drewg350

Mike, Thanks again for taking YOUR time to respond to my questions. I realize your probably very busy. From looking at Google Maps at the Croxton, NJ yard, it looks very small, basically all intermodal as you spoke about. I hope that means even new conductors receive alot of "road work". I know many people prefer "yard work" based on quality of life (routine hours/days off/no travel-hotels), but not me.
If you don't mind me asking, Mike, how do you like working for NS and how long have you worked for them? I read in the employment forum that 63% of new hires are no longer with NS by the fifth year. That seems like an incredible turnover rate. I have an interview with NS next week and am doing everything I can to suceed. Thanks again!!! Drew g
 #890088  by hbgdispatcher

The is a small amount of regular freight work in addition to the intermodal at Croxton. There are 2 different seniority rosters at Croxton, one for yard and local work and one for the road jobs, so what roster you hire on for will determine what you will work. Actually the "road" roster may be better for you, as this would give you seniority to work in Allentown, Philly, or Harrisburg if you got cut off in Croxton, the yard and local roster basically covers the local stuff around Croxton and what little work is left at Suffen and Campbell Hall, the next nearest place you could go to work at if you got cut off is Binghamton, NY for that roster. The Jersey road guys cover road trains out of not only Croxton yard but also ERail yard and NS trains out of Oak Island as well, your away from home terminals would be Harrisburg or Hagerstown, Md.
 #890726  by MikeJ

drewg350 wrote:If you don't mind me asking, Mike, how do you like working for NS and how long have you worked for them?

I have only been with NS for a short time. The job is fine, the hours can be rough sometimes, but that is to be expected in this business. They have taken steps to try and make life better for employees (both union and management). A lot of older guys feel like managment is out to get them all the time, but that isn't the case (anymore).
 #891497  by Jayjay1213

MikeJ wrote:It is all intermodal out of that yard. There are five outbound trains scheduled. The final destinations are 2 to Atlanta, 1 to Chicago, 1 to Harrisburg, and 1 to Allentown.
Actually it is not all intermodal. Croxton is the base for all the local trains that run up and down the NJT lines and serves as the supplier for Suffern. Croxton receives one mixed freight train a day from Allentown.
 #892537  by drewg350

Quick update, I went to the recruiting session yesterday, Thursday, and everything went perfect. Really, it couldn't have gone better. I tested well, and the interview went great. The train master told us that this position was for "road" work, not "yard" work. "If anyone is here looking for a yard work, please leave. They are filled and we have no open positions." He went on to explain "if hired, you will be taking trains from North Jersey to Hagerstown, MD // Harrisburg, PA // Allentown, PA // and out towards Chicago on some "corridor"". He said 90% was intermodel, with a little bit of mixed freight and some tankers, but almost all intermodal. He said we would be gone around 20-25 days a month. I was clad as I preferred road work if given a choice. I'm use to being on the road 20+ days a month in my current job. Luckily, I got the call this morning at 7:30 with a conditional offer. I believe we will be going to Atlanta for training fairly soon (approx.6 weeks) from what he told us. I just have the usual physical, drug, stength test, and background check to go thru. Thanks to everyone who posted and help "jump start" my RR career. Your knowledge and experiences were invaluable to me. I don't believe I would've been offered a job on my first attempt if I wasn't so well prepared. Much appreciated !!!
 #892707  by MikeJ

Congrats, I'm not surprised. I know they still need to fill about 500 conductor trainee spots to get the numbers they need. Right now they are running three shifts at the training center due to the hiring blitz, so don't be shocked if you are training on third shift.
 #892764  by drewg350

Mike, third shift training would be just fine for me. In fact, I've been working 3rd shift for 15+ years so training than would be my preference. I must admit, unlike what I've read about on these forums concerning how "SLOW" the RR's move from your initial application to your training date, my experience has been the complete opposite. I applied online (Sunday, 1/9), was invited to a recruitment session within two days (Tuesday, 1/11), scheduled for Thursday, 1/20. I went to the recruitment session yesterday (Thursday, 1/20) and received my conditional offer 16 hours later (Friday, 1/21). Within 3 hours of my offer, I was called and have my physical set up for next week. My boss also told me the outside agency NS uses for verifying your information had called him, the same day (Friday 1/21). I was told to expect a phone call early next week from NS Police department to schedule a date to come in for my background investigation. Upon this, I will receive my class date. I'm not sure if NS always works this fast, but from reading alot of posts, I don't remember anyone stating things moved this fast. I'm truely amazed. I may very well go from initial application to leaving for school in under two months, possibly 6 weeks. I put in an application on the same day with CSX, and my status shows "pending review". The job posting doesn't end until January 31. By than, I may have already completed everything with NS and be just waiting to leave for school. That's pretty impressive.
 #893133  by drewg350

gp80mac "They're moving fast because they are desperate for people."

I don't understand how deperate they could be, as they certainly didn't lower their standards. HR guy at my hiring session told us over 350 people applied online, of which 24 were invited to the recruitment session. Of the 24 at the recruitment session, only 8 were granted interviews after the testing, of the 8 who interviewed, only 2 were offered a job. Would seem to me if they were "really desperate" for people they would've invited more than 24 from the 350+, and certainly asked more than 8 to stay and interview, and would have to hire more than 2 in the end. Who knows though, the RR's work in mysterious ways.
 #910150  by gp80mac

A trainmaster once told me: "I can't believe how many people out there have criminal records!"

He was at a hiring session where 100 people attended. He said there were only TWO that they could hire. Everyone else had criminal records (or some other major problem).