Railroad Forums 

• L&HR Track Derailments

• Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail
Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail

Moderator: David

#891211  by gawlikfj

Was there any L&HR derailments on the L&HR track going into Maybrook Yard ? and if there was did L&HR have to wait for the L&HR hook ? or did the hook from Maybrook Yard help out ? I know the L&HR had their own track going into Maybrook Yard .
 #891451  by gawlikfj

I don't recall any either but , just thought because I didn't hear of any doesn't mean it didn't happen . Thank You .
 #891469  by Paul Miller

From what I've heard, the NYNH crane would come in westward from Maybrook, the LHR crane would travel up eastward from Warwick for accidents above (northeast) of Warwick. I believe the D.L.W. would travel eastward to handle accidents below (southwest) of Warwick to help out. I've also heard trains were limited to 20mph heading into Maybrook which may help account for less derails. I visited Maybrook in the fall to investigate an abandoned turntable. The track coming into Maybrook on the old NYNH ROW wasn't in good shape-many loose ties, some of the rails were dated 1910!
 #891487  by gawlikfj

I believe your right by going slow into Maybrook ,it cut down on the derailments.
I've been to Maybrook a few times and the Turntable was filled in. Are the businesses still being served by rail thru Maybrook or are they using trucks to serve them now ? The train used to come in on the L&HR but, I guess the rails are gone and now have to come in on the New Haven Running track . Thats the last I knew .