Railroad Forums 

• CN former WCL whitepine branch upper Michigan

• Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA
Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

#890340  by Milwaukeeroad

Knowing CN they will "call it a day". Hopefully not? Those tracks are the only ones left in the western U.P. I wonder if the State of Michigan will step in? That would be a good thing. I could see the CN stubbing the line at Mellen. Those tracks are to important to Upper Wisconsin and Michigan. If CN wants out, let a short line have it's hand at it. After all they could probably make money hauling logs.The logging industry relies on the railroad for moving logs.
 #890464  by blackjack1518

The state of Michigan will most likely do nothing to preserve the rail for the future industry opportunities. MDNR is looking at it as this will make a great snowmobile trail, but that supports the economy maybe three months out of the year...If I was CN would sit on this line for a while and see what comes about with the new mines planned for start up in the next couple years. Mineral companies have invested heavily again in the upper peninsula and with the prices of copper, sliver and other metals at all time highs this is just the start
 #890500  by Milwaukeeroad

Oh, man...another snowmobile/ATV trail. I agree with you that CN should just wait and see how things pan out. Are former state railroad commissioner expressed the importance of theses lines. He has expressed the future need to keep the tracks in place for commerce etc.
I kind of thought a CN employee on this site could give us the 411 on the situation? Anyone?
 #890554  by jimnorthwood

The State of Michigan is, unfortunately, in no financial position to do anything with regards to this line. The state budget deficit for next fiscal year (beginning October 1, 2011) is projected to be in the $1.5-$2 billion range. If CN decides to file for abandonment the line will most likely as a previous poster said, become yet another link in the U.P.'s vast network of snowmobile trails.
 #890660  by mtuandrew

Shame, too, since there's already perfectly good snowmobile trails next to the line. :)

My best hope is that it'll be banked intact, but it all depends on White Pine and potential copper deposits - there's probably not enough lumber to keep the line open past Bergland, if not North Ironwood or even Mellen.
 #894996  by blackjack1518

It's a sad day in the Western U.P. as another industry the White Pine Refinery closes its doors. One needs to wonder, when copper prices are very high, why this was considered a good business move. We need industry that provides jobs at a living wage. It is a sorrowful and stressful time for many in Ontonagon County.
 #898882  by blackjack1518

It's looks as if the Copperwood Mine project would use the CN White Pine Sub located at Thomaston about 11 miles from the Project via County Road 519. There is an existing loading station at Thomaston which is used for timber, they would make upgrades to county road 519 to handle mine truck traffic.
 #898996  by Milwaukeeroad

Sweet! Thanks for posting your info. Blackjack1518.This is great news! I wonder if the siding well get a make over? They will need a run-around track plus space for loading and empties. I wonder what the plan will be?
MilwaukeeRoad
 #899425  by mtuandrew

I can't say - haven't been up there in a year or more.

When I stopped at Thomaston, the siding didn't look to be in good enough shape to handle loaded ore cars, and the "yard" was just dirt, wood chips, and mud. If the mine goes forward, they'll need to at least put down gravel or tailings so the lot is better drained, and replace the ties and ballast.
 #899565  by Milwaukeeroad

I would agree. The siding is currently used to load logs and ore. However, the with the new loading and such I'd think some maintenance would take place? A run a round track etc. The siding rail is from 1901.