Railroad Forums 

• Working FM's in the Northeast

• Discussion of Fairbanks-Morse locomotive products. Official web site can be found here: www.fairbanksmorse.com.
Discussion of Fairbanks-Morse locomotive products. Official web site can be found here: www.fairbanksmorse.com.

Moderator: pablo

#882598  by Otto Vondrak

Heck yes!! We have the only operable FM in New York State (and maybe the Northeast!) at Rochester & Genesee Valley Railroad Museum.

http://rgvrrm.org/about/railroad/usa1843
This Fairbanks-Morse H12-44 locomotive was part of a group of locomotives built in 1953 for the United States Army at a cost of $224,700 each. It is a 1200 horsepower 120 ton yard switcher. In 1944, Fairbanks-Morse entered the United States railroad locomotive market trading on their excellent reputation in diesel power plants for marine applications. Their locomotives used an unorthodox opposed-piston design engine. During the next nineteen years, F-M achieved limited acceptance and rated a distant fourth place in market share during a period when all major American railroads were replacing their steam locomotives with diesels. F-M left the locomotive market in 1963.

This locomotive was used most recently at the Seneca Army depot in Romulus, New York where it handled 30 to 100 cars per week on 42 miles of track at the base. In 1993, it was declared surplus by the Army, and a group of museum members purchased the unit for the Chapter through the Federal Property Assistance program. It arrived at the museum in May 1993. It is in operating condition and is used year round at the museum as the locomotive uses antifreeze and has a block heater for winter use.

Many of the 1843's sister locomotives have been saved and are preserved in other museums throughout the country including the other Seneca Army depot engine #1844 at the National Transportation Museum in Kirkwood, MO.
 #882763  by railroadcarmover

My FM unit is a sister unit. It is #1845. It also has a coolant heating system on it that is mounted across from the mufflers. I am curious what color your cab interior was painted when your group purchased it from the Army.
 #972164  by Otto Vondrak

railroadcarmover wrote:My FM unit is a sister unit. It is #1845. It also has a coolant heating system on it that is mounted across from the mufflers. I am curious what color your cab interior was painted when your group purchased it from the Army.
More or less battleship pale gray... Our resident experts would be more than happy to discuss in detail with you.

http://rgvrrm.org/contact