Railroad Forums 

• Video with 14

• All about the Arcade & Attica Railroad
All about the Arcade & Attica Railroad

Moderator: Benjamin Maggi

#876739  by Benjamin Maggi

Is there a way to download the actual video to our computers? Or just the links to the videos. I would love that video.
 #881160  by Mountcastle

Holy Baldwins, Batman! I don't believe my own eyes: decent video footage of No. 14 in action! It's like finding Noah's Ark.

How great to hear 14's bell again, and to watch those big white-walled drivers turn. I'm just thrilled to see this footage; thank you for making us aware of it.

One can only hope that one day, there will be contemporary footage of No. 14 in action posted on YouTube.
 #882320  by BigIronHorse

Whats interesting to note is that she is wearing 18's whistle. Alot of people have mentioned that the whistle she wore in the early 90's was 14's whistle...so which is the correct whistle for 14?! :)
 #882634  by Mountcastle

BigIronHorse wrote:Whats interesting to note is that she is wearing 18's whistle. Alot of people have mentioned that the whistle she wore in the early 90's was 14's whistle...so which is the correct whistle for 14?! :)
The whistle you hear in the video is the whistle that--as far as I can tell, at any rate--is currently in use on Number 18. According to posts elsewhere in this forum, the whistle originally came from a Canadian National engine, and No. 14 was its recipient when the whistle came into the possession of the Arcade & Attica. It is not No. 14's original whistle, therefore--I don't know if that creature even exists anymore--but the CNR whistle did become 14's "signature sound" for many years.

That whistle was briefly silenced once No. 14 was taken out of service (1989?), but at some point in the early 1990s, the crew removed the CNR whistle from No. 14, and switched it over to No. 18. I'm glad they did, because no whistle tops that whistle, in my opinion. It has such a haunting sound to it.

If Number 14 cannot run anymore, Number 18, at least, does a convincing imitation of her, pulling 14's tender and sounding her old whistle.
 #882762  by BigIronHorse

That is very well put! However I think that the whistle that was on 18 in the 90's is more 'haunting and erie' than this CNR one.... but I will say that compared to say some of the Strasburg whistles this CNR whistle is one of the best sounding out there. Does anyone here know what kind of whistle 18 wore in the 90's? Was it a six chime, single chime? What manufacture? I am not very familiar with whistles and horns yet but i am working on it.

Jim
 #883300  by Benjamin Maggi

Read the thread in this forum titled "A Whistle Post." At this time it is only about 7-8 down. It gives much more information on the A&A's whistles.
http://railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=142&t=57197

Also, if anyone could download this video for me I would gladly cover the cost of postage to mail it to me. My computer keeps blocking it for some reason. PM me if you are willing. Thanks.
 #885359  by Mountcastle

BigIronHorse wrote:That is very well put! However I think that the whistle that was on 18 in the 90's is more 'haunting and erie' than this CNR one.... but I will say that compared to say some of the Strasburg whistles this CNR whistle is one of the best sounding out there. Does anyone here know what kind of whistle 18 wore in the 90's? Was it a six chime, single chime? What manufacture? I am not very familiar with whistles and horns yet but i am working on it.

Jim
Throughout most of the 1990s, No. 18 was equipped with the CNR whistle it bears today (which is the whistle you hear in the video on No. 14). The whistle No. 18 used prior to then was, I assumed, its own original whistle. But, like Ben says, read "The Whistle Post" thread.