Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#873686  by #5 - Dyre Ave

Or perhaps could a new trans-Hudson PATH service from Secaucus to Midtown Manhattan be studied? A service that could be built as an alternative to ARC and the #7 train extension to Secaucus that New York City Hall is currently proposing.
 #875104  by HBLR

How about 10 car trains on PATH and more frequent bus service into and out of manhattan would suffice till governor McRobertmoses leaves office.
 #875238  by PONYA

HBLR wrote:How about 10 car trains on PATH and more frequent bus service into and out of manhattan would suffice till governor McRobertmoses leaves office.
10 car trains are in the plan. NWK/WTC service will see 10 cars when Harrison and Grove St. platforms are lengthened.
 #875308  by HBLR

The two things i've heard PATH conductors tell me they'd like to see, are lockable folding seat at the control position, and 10 car trains so they can get to and from either side when switching cars more easily to minimize delays without crowd surfing.
 #875393  by OportRailfan

HBLR wrote:The two things i've heard PATH conductors tell me they'd like to see, are lockable folding seat at the control position, and 10 car trains so they can get to and from either side when switching cars more easily to minimize delays without crowd surfing.
Sorry, but how are 10 car trains going to expedite the process of changing ends?
 #875656  by oknazevad

I think he's referring to the times conductors must cross from one car to the next mid route due to the platforms being on the other side of the train at the next stop. When the cars are and there's a lot of standees in the way, that can be a really slow move. Longer trains would alleviate some of that standee crowding.
 #875673  by OportRailfan

oknazevad wrote:I think he's referring to the times conductors must cross from one car to the next mid route due to the platforms being on the other side of the train at the next stop. When the cars are and there's a lot of standees in the way, that can be a really slow move. Longer trains would alleviate some of that standee crowding.
That was the only other thing I thought he was talking about. And yeah, it can be bad sometimes
 #875771  by Terry Kennedy

PONYA wrote:10 car trains are in the plan. NWK/WTC service will see 10 cars when Harrison and Grove St. platforms are lengthened.
Lengthening Grove St. will be a bit of a challenge. The west end of the station has the full crossover, and the east end has the junction where trains from Exchange Place join the track to Grove St. That latter one is pretty much right under the first set of stairs when you leave Grove St. via the "new" (re-opened) exit. That's why the work to re-create the 2nd exit got an ADA waiver.

Plus, unlike Exchange Place, any work to lengthen the platforms at Grove St. would need to be done while the trains are in service. The last time there was an undertaking like this, it was when Journal Square replaced Summit Ave, and that was a major disruption that they probably don't want to repeat.

I'd expect something like what used to be done at Exchange Place: "Attention, passengers - the first car will not open at Exchange Place". Given that Grove St. will be heavily skewed toward boarding WTC-bound AM trains, with only a few people getting off, this should be manageable. It would be the first two cars, though - I think you could only platform 1 or 2 doors of a 9-car train at Grove, and the PA has already had their failed "individual door control" experiment (on the retro-fitted PA-1/2/3's).
 #876111  by HBLR

Yes, i was referring to conductors changing cars for opening doors on different sides. As far as disruption, they could put a plywood wall up where the current hallway is towards the stairs, take out the walls and build out the platform ledge. Majority of work could be done overnight & weekends.