Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#875029  by keyboardkat

Both Metro-North and the LIRR have boosted their third rail voltage from the original nominal 660 v.d.c. to 750 v.d.c. in the interests of improving train performance and reducing voltage dropoff with distance from the substations. Yet the subway system still uses the old 600 v.d.c. standard inherited from the street railway industry in 1904, and still has some motor-generator or rotary converter substations.

I know money is an issue right now, but have there been any plans for the NYCTA to follow suit? Also, the LIRR replaced its all steel third rails (except on certain yard trackage) with new third rails consisting of a steel I-beam sandwiched by two aluminum strips, one on each side, to provide greater efficiency and conductivity, and to, again, reduce voltage drop with distance from substations. M-N, with its underruning third rail system, can't do so as easily but I have seen all-aluminum third rail installed, experimentally at least, on some platform tracks in Grand Central. Once again, is the subway system to be left behind? I guess the present power distribution system works well enough, but...
 #875089  by Kamen Rider

the railroads uped thier volatage becuase the M-series came with a higher voltage rating to handle longer trips at higher speeds. Subway trains are, at most, doing 50 and are going to stop again within the next two minutes 99% of the time. Railroad trains, esspecialy the really limited stop trains, can go 20-30 miles without stoping at 50-70 MPH.

upgrading to 750 on the TA would be a waste of money
 #875293  by HBLR

PATH has the "booster" rail setup, but they go faster with heavier equipment than the subway, also it is technically a railroad all be it a rapid transit type setup. I think the subway's power systems will see new feeder lines and new rails and tracks etc before the 3rd rail is changed. There's a lot of it too, would be massively expensive, not to mention when you work on the 3rd rail you disrupt normal service entirely.
 #875306  by Patrick Boylan

Now you're forcing me to revisit the NY transit museum. I remember reading at least one of their placards which boasted that New York work crews do not turn off the 3rd rail. Have they become more safety conscious?
 #875576  by keyboardkat

HBLR wrote:PATH has the "booster" rail setup, but they go faster with heavier equipment than the subway, also it is technically a railroad all be it a rapid transit type setup. I think the subway's power systems will see new feeder lines and new rails and tracks etc before the 3rd rail is changed. There's a lot of it too, would be massively expensive, not to mention when you work on the 3rd rail you disrupt normal service entirely.
What about the light "umbrella profile rail" third rail used under 6th Avenue, has that been replaced?
 #876059  by keyboardkat

Patrick Boylan wrote:Now you're forcing me to revisit the NY transit museum. I remember reading at least one of their placards which boasted that New York work crews do not turn off the 3rd rail. Have they become more safety conscious?
Once I had a job assignment in Hewlett, NY, and during lunch I wandered over to the LIRR station. A work crew was replacing the old glass/ceramic third-rail insulator-supports with new asbestos third-rail chairs, as has also been done on the subway in many locations. One crew member used a wooden lever under the third rail, using one of the running rails as a pivot, to lift a short length of the third rail. The other crew member lifted out the old insulator and inserted a new one. He often grasped the third rail with both hands.

I said, "The power is off, right?" He said, "No, the power is on." I said, "but...." He said, "Just so you don't touch this (indicating a running rail) at the same time." He had on heavy work boots which must have had thick rubber soles. Still, he had more guts than I would have. There's always the chance to accidentally ground yourself, and get fried.
 #876099  by HBLR

I meant replacing the 3rd rail segment. Sorry for not specifying. As for the specs on the conductor rail on 6th ave line, i do not know.
 #876418  by keyboardkat

HBLR wrote:I meant replacing the 3rd rail segment. Sorry for not specifying. As for the specs on the conductor rail on 6th ave line, i do not know.
I meant the third rail on the PATH 6th Ave. line. The third rail there is, or was, a type called "umbrella rail." Flat on top, slanted downard on either side, and with no web or base.
 #876803  by HBLR

I usually sit on those trips as they tend to be a bit long, but i'll look next time i'm up on the 33rd street line.
 #877191  by keyboardkat

Isn't there one still operating somewhere around Brooklyn Bridge? I think the building is sort of semi attached to one of the Federal buildings down there.
 #878005  by HBLR

That sounds familiar kat, but when i think subway power i don't think rotary converters, i think DC substations and the big old power house. I'll have to do some digging.
 #878050  by HBLR

It looks like, based on info i've found, there were several rotary converters for the "IRT". I believe this was to overcome the natural limitations to DC transmission from the power house on the river.

If one was related to a federal building, it may have shared street level access or been in the basement etc. The spacing is said to have been 2 miles, but i'm not sure how correct that is.