Railroad Forums 

• Status of the GP7s and GP9s

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#780837  by ShortlinesUSA

Are all of these stored, other than the pair on lease to MMA? It is hard to imagine the Madison and Hinckley branches with anything but the old geeps, but from what I am piecing together sounds like that is imminent if not already the case?

Appreciate any info.
 #780841  by calaisbranch

Word had it that the only units not stored besides the 51 and 71 at NMJ were GP7 #15 being used as a Waterville shop gopher and GP9 #52. All others are stored as of now. Not sure which ones are considered serviceable or not.

J Bray
 #781045  by jwhite07

Whatever became of MEC 450 (ex Algoma Central 171)? It was the last GP9 ever built and would have been a nice candidate for preservation.
 #781084  by guilfordrailfan

MEC 450 was renumbered ST 21 in 1987. ST 21 was scrapped by Guilford in the mid 1990's.

Regarding the others-
52 & 77 remain active on the East Deerfield hump.
51 & 71 had been stored but were recently leased to MMA. Both seem to be having problems.
15 "may" be active but restricted to the Waterville shop switcher. Haven't seen a report on that one in awhile.
All other Pan Am GP7's and GP9's (12 45 54 62 72) are in storage.

Also worthy of note is that all remaining Pan Am GP35's, all remaining 6-axles (621 643 681 690) and roster unique BM 252 have been in storage since mid January or before. All these locomotives are very tired and beyond worn out.
 #863644  by calaisbranch

Yesterday while hanging around at Northern Maine Junction to start the day, I nearly fell out of my car when SAPPI-3 called District 1 with #77 on the lead for the run to Waterville. Just psyched by the fact of possibly seeing one on them on the point of an actual road train for the first time since last Winter, I was even more pumped to find #72 with it once I got out that way. Thinking I couldn't top that with what remained of foliage, #71 was sitting by the yard office with 510! A fluke, or are they realizing they still can't carry the branches with one GP40?
 #863879  by MEC407

Sweet!
 #864009  by KSmitty

Nice shots Jeff,
That must have been one awesome sight, 3 of the old girls all in one picture, WOW!
 #864056  by calaisbranch

Personally, it was like I died and went to Heaven! I'll be listening Saturday morning to get an idea what will be on SAPPI this weekend. If it's something good, I'll post it ahead and probably try for the old Halloween scheme on its rightful day Sunday. BTW, the horn on #77 has got to be the best of all the '9s and one of the better on the whole system. Even though we have the horn thread going, I'm too lazy to jump back over there right now.
 #864176  by MEC407

calaisbranch wrote:BTW, the horn on #77 has got to be the best of all the '9s and one of the better on the whole system. Even though we have the horn thread going, I'm too lazy to jump back over there right now.
That's a K3L, which they swapped from one of the 500s.
 #865585  by b&m 1566

So when they all showed up at Waterville months back was that Pan Am trying to retire them or was it for servicing?
 #865924  by calaisbranch

b&m 1566 wrote:So when they all showed up at Waterville months back was that Pan Am trying to retire them or was it for servicing?
I personally keep hearing that PAR is trying to retire these oldies. Funny you ask though.....When I saw the 71 in Waterville last week, its brakes all had new pads. Nothing else really stood out. I didn't notice on the 77 or 72, but their old prime mover hearts sounded mighty fine pulling through Shawmut! I'll be listening to the scanner starting around 10:45a Saturday to hear if SAPPI-3 will again have '9s on the lead.