Discussion relating to the Penn Central, up until its 1976 inclusion in Conrail. Visit the Penn Central Railroad Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: JJMDiMunno

by atlpete

I have a slide of this car taken at Sunnyside(a severly color-shifted mug-shot where-in the upper part is degraded to brown) and was wondering if this car is the only one PRR acquired from DR&GW? My understanding is most of these(ex-C&O 1660 series aka "Robert R Young" cars) went to the D&H. Ironically I have seen it show up in many photos in PC service, primarily on the Cincinatti Ltd/Penn-Texas and Chicago-Cinncy trains. I know the PRR acquired two of the cafe-lounges for the coach portion of the Broadway(1148-49 to PC 4448-9) but am curious if the 3185 is the only coach example PC had of these cars. They are a favorite of mine in their somewhat distinctive half green and stainless livery.
TIA, Pete
  by The tram man

How about posting that pic? Please.
  by jhdeasy

Are you sure 3185 is the correct car number?

I know of no lightweight passenger car numbered D&RGW 3185 or Penn Central 3185.

Penn Central 3165 was a 52 seat coach built by Pullman Standard in 1946 as D&RGW 1244, acquired by PC in 1970. This car later served as Amtrak 5275 before it was retired.
  by John Laubenheimer

PC did pick up a couple of ex-D&RGW full lounge cars, and used these as the coach lounge on the BROADWAY LIMITED. IIRC, these did not have the standard "tall" windows common to the ex-C&O PS builds, while their diner-lounges, coaches and sleepers had the "tall" windows.
  by atlpete

To be clear, no I'm not sure the number is 3185, the slide I have is the only decent close-up I have of the side and the number's not particularly clear so 3165
is likely it. Car shows up in a variety of magazine shots of PC trains, but none of the photos are close or clear enough either.
Shots in service include of it on #65 between Chi and Cinn, #78 Cinn Ltd section, and combined with #4 at Princeton, NJ.
Great looking car, I'm gonna build a 1/48 model of it if I can find the ALW kit. Ditto one of those five all green ACF ex-UP coaches.
  by AtlantaHudson

Here's a fairly new shot of this car, unlike my browned out slide the color is good.
http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/pc/pc-co3165dca.jpg

I know it's conjecture but imagine a good sized consist of these RRYoung style cars in this scheme. I still plan to build a model of this one and the one of the ex-UP coaches.
Pete
  by jhdeasy

AtlantaHudson wrote:Here's a fairly new shot of this car, unlike my browned out slide the color is good.
http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/pc/pc-co3165dca.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I know it's conjecture but imagine a good sized consist of these RRYoung style cars in this scheme. I still plan to build a model of this one and the one of the ex-UP coaches.
Pete

Thanks for sharing the photo of this car. The windowless area in the center of this car suggests this was a divided coach, which would have been used in several states where C&O operated, if they had retained ownership of the car, in compliance with "Jim Crow" laws enforced at that time.
  by Tadman

Very interesting picture. I have always been of the opinion that the full-green PC passenger cars looked like rolling stock from a communist bloc country and the stainless cars looked like hand-me-downs from SCL with their black roofs. Neither were that attractive. However, the faux-stainless P-S cars with some olive drab and some stainless are pretty good looking, and I don't know that I've ever noticed that before.

And talk about lineage - C&O-DRGW-PRR-PC is pretty good mileage for a lightweight car circa 1970.