Railroad Forums 

• BNSF Hiring Process

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#856253  by shawnd71

was wondering if there is anyone that might be able to answer some questions i have about employment at BNSF? i have applied and going thru the testing procedures at this time but would like to find out a little more info.
 #856290  by jz441

What would you like to know?
 #856350  by shawnd71

i applied for a conductor trainee position primary recall for beaumont tx. i was wondering what kind of money could be expected after training ic complete? if u r on furlough can u draw unemployment compensation? while in the interview they said wages after 5 yrs are around 8000.00 per month is that realistic income? they said they were hiring 6 to 10 people which makes me wonder are they that busy in beaumont.
 #856374  by Engineer Spike

I think that figure is somewhat high. It all depends on what jobs you can hold. If we go back into recession, you may well be cut off. If the baby boomers retire, like they say, it would be possible to move up fast. Even this is skeptical because all of the railroads have been hiring like crazy right up to the crash. Much is in your court. Try to stay on the highest paying job possible, don't go for the basic day yard job. Don't mark off. You get out what you put in.
 #856387  by railly5

i have recently been hired by bnsf as an Intermodal Equipment Operator at there cicero yard. can any body tell me what to except on my first day or week? thanx
 #856435  by Gadfly

shawnd71 wrote:does mark off mean take off from work?

Yes. Don't do that if you can help it. You will have to wait for a year, I believe, before you can draw RR unemployment. You may be able to draw some if laid off before that from the state side based on the work you did in that segment. It might have changed, but I did it when I first hired out. If you DO that, don't tell the state employment security folks you plan to go back to RR; they'll "buck" you on the benefits.
Once you get a year in, you're home free BUT you get less than the state people do. I never understood that. We make MORE than the non-RR people, but make LESS on uneployment than the non-RR folks do. :( OH well, I get paid each month regardless! :wink:

Gadfly
 #856564  by shawnd71

so just starting out and having no senioroity does that mean i will most likely just be on the extra board for a year or so?

once u have some seniority and are able to hold a position does that mean u have set days to work or still on call?

after reaching 5 yrs and 100% of pay are there any raises of cost of living increases?

is the pay for conductor and engineer the same?
 #856609  by matawanaberdeen

Ok I don't know about BNSF specifically but I think it takes MUCH longer than a year to "hold" a job. At least that is what I was told. Also once at 100% pay rate you will get raises as the labor contract dictates.
 #856641  by jz441

Split&Hit wrote:jz441 what terminal do you work of? If u work for BNSF!
I work out of Southern California... mostly LA.
Engineer Spike wrote:I think that figure is somewhat high. It all depends on what jobs you can hold.
Spike,

A lot has changed since you left... Last contract gave us about 18% raise... Conductors extra board guarantee @ 100% pays $4200/half, and brakeman's $3900. If you stay marked up, you have no difficulty braking it... :wink:
 #856644  by jz441

shawnd71 wrote:so just starting out and having no senioroity does that mean i will most likely just be on the extra board for a year or so?
You will be on the extra board until people holding regular assignments retire, die or get fired. It could take months or years....
shawnd71 wrote:once u have some seniority and are able to hold a position does that mean u have set days to work or still on call?
If you bid on yard or local assignments, you will have set start times with set days off.... If you bid on the road pool assignment, you will still be on call, but you will work only that one route, compared to the extra board that gets called where ever needed... When on call, you can predict your calls by checking vacancies via phone or computer.
shawnd71 wrote:after reaching 5 yrs and 100% of pay are there any raises of cost of living increases?
Pay raises are subject to labor agreements and future contracts... short answer: Yes!
shawnd71 wrote:is the pay for conductor and engineer the same?
No,... once @ 100% as a conductor there is not that much difference in base pay, but engineers get the profit sharing bonuses... conductors don't!
 #856838  by shawnd71

jz441 wrote:
Split&Hit wrote:jz441 what terminal do you work of? If u work for BNSF!
I work out of Southern California... mostly LA.
Engineer Spike wrote:I think that figure is somewhat high. It all depends on what jobs you can hold.
Spike,

A lot has changed since you left... Last contract gave us about 18% raise... Conductors extra board guarantee @ 100% pays $4200/half, and brakeman's $3900. If you stay marked up, you have no difficulty braking it... :wink:

so there is a guarantee?
 #856952  by shawnd71

so if i get hired on i will have some guaranteed income as long as i dont get furlouged?

does it seem strange that they are hiring 6 to 10 people for one location?