Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#529478  by rushr2112

Could the S train ever be extended to run from GCT to Penn? I can see that the S train ends right near the 1,2,3 line at the PA. Could it ever use the existing 1,2,3 tracks to continue to Penn?

Connecting both train stations would be very useful. It’s a real hustle to have to take the S and then transfer to the 1.
 #529503  by RearOfSignal

rushr2112 wrote:Could the S train ever be extended to run from GCT to Penn? I can see that the S train ends right near the 1,2,3 line at the PA. Could it ever use the existing 1,2,3 tracks to continue to Penn?

Connecting both train stations would be very useful. It’s a real hustle to have to take the S and then transfer to the 1.
Only one track from the shuttle actually connects to the 7th ave line. However that track is OOS due to the pedestrian bridge which is over it. Even if the bridge was removed, it only connects to the northbound local track at Times Square.

#529583  by Raritan Express

It wouldn't be possible without a complete rebuild of the Times Square station. The tracks go northbound and connect to the northbound tracks on the 7th avenue line.

#532861  by finsuburbia

If you're not carrying a lot of stuff, its definitely worth it to walk. Believe me, as Sarge pointed out, NYC is awake at that time in the morning and 42nd street and any avenue between GCT and NYP is about as safe as you can get. It's only a 25-30 minute walk, depending on how you catch the lights (or the amount that your are willing to Jay walk).

#541357  by CHANGEATJAMAICA

You say your trip is in the summer. The sun is high in the sky by five in June. If you have a heavy case, the tramp down and up the subway steps could be your biggest problem.
Walking from GCT (42nd/Lex) to NYP (35/7th) is 4 block west and 7 blocks south, just about a mile. At that time of the morning the only folks you're going to run into are either leaving work or going there. Unless of course it's a Saturday, then you've got last nights drunks sobering up to worry about.
I often walked from (42/6th) to (39/3rd) early in the morning and the only distraction was the street people performing their morning ablutions in the fountain in Bryant Park.
If your case(s) are on a sturdy set of wheels, you are relatively healthy and the weather is good the walk shouldn't take more than twenty five to thirty minutes
Best regards,
Rodger
 #549540  by hi55us

I would take the Shuttle to the 1/2/3 that is the simplist way, don't take the a/c/e since it is a long walk from the shuttle in times square. One question I have for you is why are you taking the cardinal to chicago? The lake shore or the capital is MUCH quicker. The cardinal takes 28 hrs. vs 18 hrs. for the lake shore and 17 1/2 for the capital.

Re:

#551020  by radioboy

pennsy wrote:Seems to me someone should mention that is would be quite dangerous to walk the streets of Manhattan, carrying luggage, in the darkness of the wee hours of the AM.
Erm... yeah, as Otto mentioned, the walk across Midtown from Lex to 8th is not exactly a dangerous one. You could probably take the 7 across and then walk down from Times Sq to Penn Station. There isn't too much foot traffic to run you over on 8th Ave at that early hour.
 #854938  by andre

i know i am about two years late on this thread, however you can also board the m34 bus near GCT which ends its route at penn station
 #855001  by Kamen Rider

Necroing is bad netiquette.

and the M34 goes nowhere near GCT. Your thinking of the Q32.