Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#847262  by Kamen Rider

no, IRT cars are 51 feet long for 510 foot trains.

The R32s are paired set of two non operating end to to non operating end they are nothing like the later ones. The diffrences are all internal (IE, only one of the two carries certain parts, like a brake compressor)

As i explained, B cars on all units that arrivered after the R42, are cabless "Blind Motors". you need to look closer, becuase it becomes obvious, such as simple thing like headlights.
 #849514  by railfan365

To round out the entries in this thread as to the differences among various train models:

The R-32's are in permanent or "married" pairs. Between the 2 cars in each pair, they are permanently linked with a link bar with permanent air and electrical connections. At the other end of each car is an automatic coupler. Internally, each car has 2 diagonally opposite corner cabs. The one at the end with an automatic coupler is fully operational, with controls that include driving and door controls. The cab at the married pair juncture hasaccesory controls and door controls, but no driving controls. At the married pair juncture, there are no headlights, taillight, destination signs, or windshield wiper. Underneath, only one car in each pair has an air compressor, while the other one has equipment for emergency power.

The R-42's are also in permanent pairs, but differ from the R-32's in that the motor cab lacks door controls, thus providing each car with a distinct motor cab and distinct conductor cab with the conductor working a car length off center on some trains. Also, the conductor cab doesn't have a pointless windshield through all that will be seen is the "blind" end of the other car in the pair.

The R-44's and R-46's were origially purchased with some cars having a full width, fully operational cab at one end and no operating controls or cab at the other. The other cars were motorized trailers with no cabs or operating controls. Cab, or A cars are even numbered with full equipment including an air compressor and back-up power while B cars lack those features. Originally, these cars were single units that could be easily separated and coupled up in various combinations - but they needed each other in that a cab car had to be in a consist with at least one other cab car facing the other way, and a B car had to be in a consist with cab cars. In the late 1980's, the R-44's, except for the ones on Staten Island, were converted into permanent 4 car groups consisting of a cab car at each end facing out, and 2 B cars in the middle. Some of the R-46s were converted into the same type of groups, while some were converted into married pairs of 2 A cars linked blind end to blind end, and 1 A car and 1 B car were made into a married pair.

The R-62's were all originally single units with full operating equipment, and an automatic coupler at each end with a fully operational corner cab at each end in one corner with driving controls and door controls on that side included. Many of them were converted in 1998-99 into 5 car groups, with 3 air compressors, 3 sets of emergency power contorl, and a full witdth cab at each end with full controls including door controls for both sides.

The R-68's were originally single units with a full operatonal cab at one end and a motor only corner cab at the other. They were converted into 4 car groups. As with the 62's, the intermediate cabs had the driving and door controls disaasembled or disabled.

The new cars ordered since the R-68's were always in 4 or 5 car groups.
 #853151  by railfan365

Here's a further update on car assignments: As of last saturday (September 18, 2010), ALL R-44's have been reitred from service, on the subway. SIR still has its 63 cars.

As to the present car assignments on B division:

All 240 surviving R-32's are assigned to 207th Street- running overwhelmingly on the C, occasionally on the A.

All 50 surviving R-42's are based in East NY and running on the J/Z.

The R-46's are divided between Jamica and Pitkin - serving the A, F,G, and R.

The R-68's are divided between Grand Concourse and Coney and serving the B,D,N, and Franklin Avenue.

The R-143's are all on the L.

The R-160's, the new workhorse of the system, are divided among Coney, Jamaica, and East NY, and are running on the E,F,M,Q,R,L, and J/Z.
 #853962  by darthdoosh

railfan365 wrote:All 240 surviving R-32's are assigned to 207th Street- running overwhelmingly on the C, occasionally on the A.
Man, I'd never thought I'd be nostalgic over a few years ago when the E was the R32 stronghold, back when I rode it under QBL two or more times daily. After moving, if I ride the E once a month now, it's a lot. Like you said, the C is the last bastion of R32s. I still make it into the city on Sundays usually for that market on 79th/Columbus - catch R32s on the C nearly 100% of the time up from NYP. That part of me that used to live within the five boroughs still thinks of the C as R38 territory. :-)
 #854070  by railfan365

darthdoosh wrote:
railfan365 wrote:All 240 surviving R-32's are assigned to 207th Street- running overwhelmingly on the C, occasionally on the A.
Man, I'd never thought I'd be nostalgic over a few years ago when the E was the R32 stronghold, back when I rode it under QBL two or more times daily. After moving, if I ride the E once a month now, it's a lot. Like you said, the C is the last bastion of R32s. I still make it into the city on Sundays usually for that market on 79th/Columbus - catch R32s on the C nearly 100% of the time up from NYP. That part of me that used to live within the five boroughs still thinks of the C as R38 territory. :-)
I guess we all have our own reference for nostalgia. I remember when the C was heavily populated by R-10's.
Attachments:
subway.jpg
subway.jpg (129.96 KiB) Viewed 1138 times