Railroad Forums 

• Hudson Bay Railway

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.

Moderator: Ken V

#18593  by Alcoman

Can anyone tell me if Hudson Bay still has any M420's? If not, did they sell them? To whom?

#18603  by missthealcos

I believe they still have quite a few, even purchased a few more recently(former St.LA)...They have also scrapped several recently as well though, including some of the former BCR ones, I think there is only one M420B left now...
 #84615  by SRS125

I was looking thruw a model magizine and came a cross models of GP-20's painted up in the Hudson Bay Railways Green paint sceam with the yellow and white strpies and maple leaf and began to wonder. Did the Hudson Bay Railway ever own any GP20's? how may did they have and what were there road numbers?

#84945  by Ken V

According to the Canadian Trackside Guide® they had two GP20s - numbered 2505 and 2506. Both were transferred to the Central Kansas Railway in 1999.

#85039  by ENR3870

And one of them went to the Okanagan Valley Railway from the Central Kansas.

#85040  by SRS125

Thanks for the info :P
 #89344  by ENR3870

There's an old Lakeland and Waterways Railway GP20 sitting in the E&N Railway's Wellcox yard in Nanaimo, BC. It was de-turboed many years ago, and there are rumors that it was repowered with a V16-645 from a wrecked GP38.

#206512  by 2spot

The Canadian Trackside Guide (available from Bytown Railway Society) shows 17 M-420s in operable condition and 5 stored either awaiting repair, surplus or pending retirement. This is, however, the 2005 issue. A new one should be due soon.
 #741151  by Sir Ray

I remember that Churchill, MB could not take standard grain covered hoppers due to track conditions, and so there was an extensive fleet of grain boxcars (including rebuilt Buffalo Boxcars, which apparently were scrapped in the late 1990s) - then I read that the upgrades to the Churchill in started only in 2008!
So, what exactly was used to ship grain to Churchill after the boxcars were scrapped? Half-fill grain hoppers? Other rebuilt boxcars? Were the tracks rebuilt enough in the 1990s to support grain hoppers (say 268k ones)?
Clearly grain was and is being shipped via rail since the turn of the century, but how?
 #752098  by gp9rm4108

Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong. The Canadian Wheat Board had a fleet of grain hoppers that I believe were aluminum, therefore making them lighter.

I do believe most, if not all, have been sent to the torch. A whole bunch got brought of of storage last year and sent to the scrapper.
 #1369455  by Ken V

Omnitrax Canada is in negotiations with a First Nations group to sell the Hudson Bay Railway and the Port of Churchill Manitoba.
A deal is in place between Omnitrax Canada and a group of First Nations led by Mathias Colomb Cree Nation to acquire the Hudson Bay Railway and the Port of Churchill.

Details were not released, but the players made it clear it would not be a conventional cash transaction and there would have to be an element of public-sector support to be able to finalize it.
Story from the Winnipeg Free Press.
 #1432945  by railwayworker

does anyone have train info on the Hudson Bay Railway in Northern Manitoba as im railfanning up their in decemeber

chris carlson
ottawa on